PDA

View Full Version : there is oil on my intercooler by the turbo piping

halyoder
09-05-2002, 05:42 PM
there is oil on my intercooler piping by the turbo everytime i drive my car it seems to have more oil on it, what do i do and why is it doing it. an my bov is not working. also when driving your car what does your boost gauge read. thanks

GamblerZ
09-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Are you burning oil?  Is your car smoking?  It makes me think that your turbo is beginning to fail allowing oil to leak past into the compressor side.

halyoder
09-05-2002, 09:44 PM
well my car has only been driven twice and i just got that motor it is a s13 sr20det i was thinking about upgrading so now i guess it is a good time what do you think i should do. if it is starting to fail that does mean i need a new one right. also my bov is not working and my boost gauge will barely go to 2 psi. my friend came over and looked at it and said that it is way to much oil leaking. help please i will take pics and post them tomorrow if i find out how to post pics.

GamblerZ
09-05-2002, 09:56 PM
1.  I would first check for boost leaks.

2.  Check to make sure your boost gauge is working properly with only a little pressurized air.  Careful!  Too much could damage your gauge.

3.  Make sure that your BOV is not adjusted too tightly.

4.  Look for blue smoke coming from the exhaust.  That is a sure sign of oil, most likely from the turbo.  You can have the stock turbo rebuilt for little money or upgrade to something bigger.  Remember, if you upgrade to a bigger turbo, you will have to upgrade a host of other things as well(ie. injectors, ignition, ECU, etc.)

5.  Do a compression check to make sure that all cylinders are good.

These are some good starting points and easy things to check.