PDA

View Full Version : Windows No Worky

SoCal-s130
08-29-2007, 04:38 PM
So my windows will not roll up or down nor will the locks lock and the previous owner said he thinks there was something electrically wrong with the passenger side and caused the driver side to not work as well. What are some of the things I should try to fix it?

240on430
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
do you hear a click when pressing down?

SoCal-s130
08-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Nothing at all.

JDMS1lv1a
08-29-2007, 05:33 PM
your switch or window motor amp is probably bad.

EDIT: was it working before? Did it just happen outta no where?

SoCal-s130
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
I lied. I can hear a click.

nassin31spr
08-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Take off the door panel and examine it. Check all related fuses and relays. If all else fails then break out the trusty multimeter and put in some work.

JVD
08-29-2007, 06:45 PM
For windows, it's pretty common for the power window amplifier(little black box inside door panel) to go. Check that. Not sure about locks. Just take your door panel off and start messing with stuff.

SoCal-s130
08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
So I went out to take a look behind the door panels and I believe the driver side motor is out but I found out the pass. side wasnt even hooked up. Looks like the previous owner was holding the window up with a metal cable and the cable is caught in the gears of the motor. So im not sure what to do now... And the motor isnt even moving the thing that holds the window...?

nassin31spr
08-30-2007, 04:44 AM
Go to the junk yard and get new window motors and units. The hole thing. Its all 10mm bolts. Easy fix, you can even order all new parts from a auto parts store if you have to.

SoCal-s130
11-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Ok sorry for digging this thread up but I have tried 3 power amps and my driver window still doesn't work! I have got all 3 from junkyards so I guess it is a possibility that they were all done for. Just to make sure, if I hit the switch and the power amp is clicking then that is my problem, correct?

jackjack
11-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Go to the junk yard and get new window motors and units. The hole thing. Its all 10mm bolts. Easy fix, you can even order all new parts from a auto parts store if you have to.

thats what i had to do. :bigok:

downshift_sideways
11-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Cant you just cut the cables that go to the relay,

and put one wire to a + battery terminal, and 1 to a - terminal.

and If the window goes up or down, then its the relay thats bad?

or am I just tripping?

idlafie
11-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Ok sorry for digging this thread up but I have tried 3 power amps and my driver window still doesn't work! I have got all 3 from junkyards so I guess it is a possibility that they were all done for. Just to make sure, if I hit the switch and the power amp is clicking then that is my problem, correct?

No...the motor to the driver window could also be bad. Easy way to check the motor is to take a 12 volt power supply and connect it directly to your driver side motor. You'll need some jumper wires also to connect to your 12 volt power supply. After you hook up your jumper wires to your 12 volt power supply and temporarily connect them to your driver window motor, the motor should activate in either one direction or another, (up or down). Reverse the wires & the motor should also work in the other direction. If the motor works, then it's probably either an electrical short in the wiring or a bad power amp.

Good luck....hope this helps...
ID

projectRDM
11-24-2007, 08:29 PM
The window amp only drives the driverside window. Since the locks don't work either I'd check the circuit breaker above the inside fusebox first, then move outside to fusible links.

SR_Elliott24
11-25-2007, 12:00 PM
So my windows will not roll up or down nor will the locks lock and the previous owner said he thinks there was something electrically wrong with the passenger side and caused the driver side to not work as well. What are some of the things I should try to fix it?

I had this same problem. I took out the window motor to find out that the motor was fine. Turns out it was that little relay box.