PDA

View Full Version : removing 5 speed crossmember, safe?

mr2man07
08-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I know this is a particularly stupid question, but could i just remove the crossmember while the motor and trans are bolted up and will teh motor mounts hold up the tranny?

i do not want to have to buy one for $60 from someone. hopefully i score one on my motor swap.

if i cant do it i'll just go with finding a motor swap that has it.

thanks!:ugh:

ej2civic
08-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Are you asking if you can take it off and drive it? I don't even thing the motor mounts would hold it there just sitting still, never mind hitting bumps or driving it for that matter, What could possibly be wrong with the one that is in there to take it off?

mr2man07
08-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Are you asking if you can take it off and drive it? I don't even thing the motor mounts would hold it there just sitting still, never mind hitting bumps or driving it for that matter, What could possibly be wrong with the one that is in there to take it off?

i want it for my auto one thats in better condition.

the other one is a parts car and will not be used for driving if anything maybe a tow about 6 miles max.

im taking driveshaft and the crossmember, if not i will just wait for a sr20 that includes it.

CursedGTR
08-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I know this is a particularly stupid question, but could i just remove the crossmember while the motor and trans are bolted up and will teh motor mounts hold up the tranny?

i do not want to have to buy one for $60 from someone. hopefully i score one on my motor swap.

if i cant do it i'll just go with finding a motor swap that has it.

thanks!:ugh:

The tranny is going to tilt but it should be alright. If you have stock mounts that are weak, they might tear but I am unsure. I would put something between the firewall and motor just to be safe as well but I tilt the motor every time I take a tranny off of a GTR without problems.

mr2man07
08-25-2007, 09:29 PM
The tranny is going to tilt but it should be alright. If you have stock mounts that are weak, they might tear but I am unsure. I would put something between the firewall and motor just to be safe as well but I tilt the motor every time I take a tranny off of a GTR without problems.

i guess i'll just leave it, just in case something comes up and i might sell it. i do believe im suppose to get a call from a guy, friend just text me a little bit ago.... weird, but i guess he wants to buy it so i might as well take driveshaft and everything else.

thanks ej2 and cursed:bigok:

CursedGTR
08-25-2007, 09:39 PM

:eek: I would hope no one would ever try to drive without a mount. Your drive shaft would end up in the back of your head:eek: