PDA

View Full Version : Front Glass install - Need tips/suggestions

gotta240
08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
How long does it take/how difficult is the front glass to replace?

What material/glue is used, and where can i get it?

My car has a broken window, but my parts car has a good one. I'd like to swap them over, but have no clue where to start. I do everything else on my car, so i figure i can do this to. Any tips/suggestions would greatly be appriciated!!!

nissan240
08-25-2007, 03:45 PM
got my done at a junkyard (pick-a-part) in riverside county. got mines done for 80 bucks. comes with everything glass plus install. you can give them a call.

vutony
08-25-2007, 04:48 PM
I'd like to swap them over, but have no clue where to start.

then you shouldnt try....most likely, you will shatter the glass

new replacement with labor is roughly 130ish

gotta240
08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
LOCAL YARDS WONT HAVE ONE TILL MONDAY...

I NEED to try. I have a track day tomorrow, and the hood of my car just flew up, shattering my window. I have a parts car with good glass, so i HAVE to try. If you can offer suggestions/tips to make it easier/cleaner PLEASE SHARE.

edit- glass is almost out of the old car. Some razor blades, time, and little patience are working...Now...suggestions on putting the new one in??

I have 2 tubes of winshield adhesive and a rubber universal molding(stock old one is ugly/cracking)...

vutony
08-25-2007, 10:52 PM
even if you get it out and glued on, you need to wait 24-48 hours for it to dry or else....

SexPanda
08-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Have a shop do it professionally for a few bucks, wait for the next track day, and invest in some hood pins lol.

sucks about your window though man.

reccakun08
08-26-2007, 02:47 AM
then you shouldnt try....most likely, you will shatter the glass

new replacement with labor is roughly 130ish

130? wth... i think i paid like 200ish.

SochBAT
08-26-2007, 03:58 AM
you're all weaksauce.

Phone book'd a guy, did mine for 100 flat. he came to my house, replaced my windshield in like, 30 minutes. It's a Jeep Cherokee too.

LOCAL FTW.

FaLKoN240
08-26-2007, 03:59 AM
Don't try it yourself, it's not worth it.

You could get hurt (loose a finger) I've heard horror stories. There's a reason there are professionals.

daredevildoug
08-26-2007, 04:11 AM
a company did mine for 220... brank new glass and took less than 15 minutes... was fun watching it too. very professional

Gjohnson7
08-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Like other have said, leave it to the professionals. I paid $140 about a year and a half ago for my old S13. It's not as easy as you might think.

projectRDM
08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
You need a cutter to pull the glass, and 99% of the time it breaks during removal. I've been able to take one out in over three dozen cars. The best thing to have if you're going to try it is heat. Lots of it, otherwise the urethane glue will not cut for shit.

jdmspooge
08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I agree with R240NA. You need a windshield glass cutter. It can be purchased relatively cheap from Harbor Freight tools for like $20.

However, placing a new/used one isn't so easy as it may seem. You'd also have to buy some specialized primer for the new/used glass.

As far as the adhesive, try a local glass shop, the web, and/or maybe Home depot. Kragen or Autozone might have like small oz tubes of glass glue, but I would imagine you'd have to buy quite a few to do the job.

I suggest you have another person help you out on windshield replacement. You wouldn't want to possibly lose your finger(s) or your head if you screw up now. Keep it safe and don't rush!

And as for the molding, reuse it if you don't damage it otherwise, you're SOL. Just my $.02 and G/L

gotta240
08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
you guys are all weaksauce....(except r240 and jdmspooge....Thanks you guys for the tips... much appriciated!!!!)

I got the glass out.... It cracked, but was MUCH BETTER than my old one with two MASSIVE spiderwebs.... We did it with a little razor blade, lots of cursing, and a hour or so. Would have been nice to get it out without cracks but at least it got me through the tech at today's track event!!

Thanks again.

Edit- jdmsooge- the molding was old and nasty looking. I paid 5 or 10 bucks for a universal molding that wraps around the glass. IMO it looks much cleaner this way, and was easy!!!

vutony
08-26-2007, 11:30 PM
I got the glass out.... It cracked

not weaksauce more like wise