PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET + Oil Pressure Guage

Rikter
08-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Hi folks,

Just getting into the nissan scene with a preswapped SR20DET '91 240SX.

I have been doing a lot of reading up on the nissans and the swaps, etc and came across this from Heavy Throttle's installation guide to an SR20 swap:

Inspect the oil pan for dents, bang them out or replace the pan as necessary. Thoroughly inspect and test all belt adjustment assemblies and install the alternator belt. Check all the rubber hoses under and around the intake – these are especially hard to replace once the engine is installed.
Install any oil pressure gauge senders at this time, also any other gauges and control devices that will be inaccessible once the engine is in.

My question is... is it impossible to now install an oil pressure guage? The original owner of this car hasn't put one in and I would very much like to keep an eye on the vitals of the car. Help?
-Rik

daryl337
08-17-2007, 08:41 AM
nothing is impossible, it is just a pain in the ass to install when it is inside of the vehicle because it is in the side of the block. If you want to deal with pulling the manifold off and installing it from the side you are more than welcome.

Sir
08-17-2007, 12:54 PM
stock oil press sensor is next to oil filter - replace that with aftermarket Greddy or any other JDM stuff will bolt right up, but autometer or anything that uses 1/8npt won't work without an adapter.

Second option would be to use a sandwitch plate on the oil filter that will allow you to install gauges.

fliprayzin240sx
08-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Go buy yourself a Greddy Relocation kit, Install it, and install the sensor on it, then thank me later because I just saved you money on your car insurance by switching to Geico...

orange13donkey
08-17-2007, 05:39 PM
I have an sr20det in an S13 and I installed an oil pressure gauge after the install. It was a pain in the ass but not impossible. And never pound out an oil pan. Always suck it up and buy a new one. One of my friends SR siezed up because the pan wasn't perfect after it was pounded out. Looked good but something wasn't right. Always spring for a new one. Its only about $100.

Rikter
08-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys! I'll be going the Greddy route. Luckily the oil pan is fine :)
-Rik

fliprayzin240sx
08-18-2007, 01:39 AM
I have an sr20det in an S13 and I installed an oil pressure gauge after the install. It was a pain in the ass but not impossible. And never pound out an oil pan. Always suck it up and buy a new one. One of my friends SR siezed up because the pan wasn't perfect after it was pounded out. Looked good but something wasn't right. Always spring for a new one. Its only about $100.

That just means he didnt bang it enough or the sumped is clogged (did he changed the sump or check to see how much shiet is in it?) or the oil pump was FAAAAAAWKED...:tweak:

orange13donkey
08-18-2007, 02:24 AM
it was a warped bottom i think. looked straight but the whole thing had a bit of a hump to it. It is always best to go with a new pan just so you dont waste $2000 on an engine for a $100 part.