PDA

View Full Version : Question about removing OEM anti-theft system (S14)

timlush
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Can I remove the whole anti-theft harness? I'm thinking the only wire I need to retain is the main ignition wire. I am going to reconnect it to itself, bypassing the anti-theft relay. Will removing all the other wires cause any problems?

Thanks

projectRDM
08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Technically, yes. If you're removing every bit of it, you're going to eliminate the SECU unit, which will delete the domelight and power locks.

If you simply do not want the alarm system active, ground one of the disarm wires (either door cylinder, or the trunk cylinder) and that will permanently disable it.

If you're just looking to bypass the starter kill portion, run the black/yellow from the key switch directly to the starter solenoid, bypassing the alarm relay and the auto transmission harness altogether.

timlush
08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
So the door locks and dome light work through the anti-theft relay?

Thanks for your help :)

projectRDM
08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
No, through the SECU. 'Anti-theft relay' is too vague to ask, there's a total of four of them that perform various functions. Once again, the FSM has a nice diagram of the entire schematic and all the parts used within the system.

timlush
08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok, to be more specific: I am wanting to remove all of the wires coming off of the 2 relays next to the main engine fuse box labeled "Anti-theft" and "Lamp". Save, of course, the ignition wire...