PDA

View Full Version : UGH.. Universal antenna=problems..help

gotta240
08-13-2007, 02:10 AM
:bash: Just grabbed a "universal" antenna from a car parts store. The thing installed easily, and looks good on the car. The only problem is hooking it up!!!

The "universal" antenna i purchased has a STANDARD MALE connector. The 240sx(1995) has a wierd female connector. I even went out and got a "universal antenna adaptor" and even IT DOESN'T have the correct fitting for the CAR's Antenna....

Suggestions? This is frustrating....so simple, yet so complicated...

na3j nitsuj
08-13-2007, 02:15 AM
u could always cut it and wire em up...

can u?

GSXRJJordan
08-13-2007, 02:27 AM
There are some weird connectors out there. I know that the "standard male" 1/4" banana plug connector is for "standard" head units - I don't know what the OEM connector looks like though (I've never had an OEM Nissan head unit). My suggestion would be to talk to a local car audio shop (Audio Advice in La Crescenta is the best place in the world, as far as I'm concerned - call Devon there).

Adikt
08-13-2007, 02:32 AM
go to your local sound shop/best buy/cc and get urself a "Nissan Diversity Antenna Adapter"

projectRDM
08-13-2007, 08:43 AM
The cable end in the trunk is completely different than anything else and they do not make an adapter for it that I know of. Cut the ends off and splice together, it's just like doing an RCA cable, there's a shield and center core conductor.

gotta240
08-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks r240na... Thats kinda what i thought after trying nearly every adapter made!!!

Obviously i'll solder the center conductor wires together, but what about the larger wires arouind it(i think thats what your calling the shield). Do those all need to be soldered as well, or should i just set them around the conductor wire and tape them up?

Thanks!

ZX88
08-13-2007, 09:16 AM
wire it up i had to do the same with mine.

Adikt
08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
If they don't make an adapter (even tho i'm positive they do) it would be alot easier to just buy like a 10 ft antenna extension and run that to ur radio. No soldering, no mess, wont come apart and lose receptioin etc.