PDA

View Full Version : Weird starting problem--S14 SR

youngmanvr4
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
The car:
95 240 with S14 SR and supporting mods.

The story:
I had to much power for the stock clutch and broke the clutch into 2 pieces.
So I replaced the clutch with a new stage 2 clutch.
Never had a bit of problems with starting before.

The problem:
After putting the the clutch on I go and try to start it and sometimes it starts...sometimes is doesn't.
The first time it happened I just let it sit for a day and came back and tried to start it and it wouldn't start. So I wiggled some wires; especially any wires having to do with ignition and it fired up. Drove it around, no problems.
Parked it.
Went back a couple days later in a hurry and it wouldn't start so I took another car.
Today had some free time so I thought I'd one by one wiggle the wires to see if I could figure out which one it was.
Wiggled a couple. Wouldn't start. After doing this about 10 times is finally started up when I didn't do anything. (I had my dad starting it as I was under the hood).
One of the times I thought I heard a relay click but I'm not sure.
Anyways, we would start it, it would start. Turn it off, start it again, it would start. Note: this was without touching anything.
Turn it off and start it again and it wouldn't start. Wiggle some wires, wouldn't start. Do nothing for a minute. Try starting it. Wouldn't start. Try again without touching anything and it would start.

The now:
....I'm stumped. As you can tell it would start at random times. Sometimes wiggling wires would make it start. Sometimes doing nothing would make it start. And vise verse.
Any idea's?

koukimonster139
08-11-2007, 02:04 PM
check the wire going to the clutch pedal switch. the one that only allows the car to start when the pedal is pressed

youngmanvr4
08-11-2007, 11:55 PM
I'll check it but I honestly doubt its that because the car cracks fine even when it doesn't start.
Cranks like a champ...just doesn't fire.

And I'm pretty sure the clutch pedal start switch will not allow the engine to crank if the switch is not engaged.
Which in that case, is not my problem.

youngmanvr4
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Help? Anyone?

BPMKA24DE
08-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Help? Anyone?

simple, if the power goes on youre starter then you should change youre starter,its a common problem with going staters, next time it dosnt start just hit the starter with pceof wood either starting or not i think its youre starter...

gL

youngmanvr4
08-14-2007, 12:18 AM
But it cranks fine. Thats the thing. If it was the starter it wouldn't crank would it?

TibDrifter
08-14-2007, 12:29 AM
sounds like you got a loose wire some where, if it cranks but doesnt start then i would check the main inputs, crank/cam sensor. what you can do is take your can sensor out and with the key on engine off turn your sensor by hand and listen to your injectors and see if your getting spark. if thats good that check your main essc relay and ground. good luck

nassin31spr
08-14-2007, 05:11 AM
Unplug the wire going to your starter. Talk a multimeter and have someone start the car. If it gives 12v then start tracing the problem back though the system. Make sure your positive terminal is tight and connected well to the starter also. Its an easy problem you just have to do some hunting and a multimeter will help. Could be the ignition were the key is, bad ground, bad positive terminal wire, hell it could even be a battery thats on its last leg.

youngmanvr4
08-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Ok thanks guys.
I'll start with that and see where it takes me.

youngmanvr4
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I think I found the problem.
At first I thought it might have been the camshaft position sensor 'cause I took the CMPS cap off and there was corrosion on the rotor plate.
Cleaned it off and it didn't fix anything.
So I started turning the key with different forces because I thought it might have been the ignition switch before.
Well when I turn the key really hard, really fast, with a lot of force it starts.
So I'm pretty sure its the ignition switch.

Its the only thing that I do different that seems it make a difference and make it start.

daryl337
08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
if that is the case then your switch's on position is screwed up.

BPMKA24DE
08-14-2007, 05:34 PM
I think I found the problem.
At first I thought it might have been the camshaft position sensor 'cause I took the CMPS cap off and there was corrosion on the rotor plate.
Cleaned it off and it didn't fix anything.
So I started turning the key with different forces because I thought it might have been the ignition switch before.
Well when I turn the key really hard, really fast, with a lot of force it starts.
So I'm pretty sure its the ignition switch.

Its the only thing that I do different that seems it make a difference and make it start.

thats a good one, hope itll be fine after but sometimes starters do that, they dont just GO out, slowly they act stupid like youre case and then they stop working, good luck man!

youngmanvr4
08-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah I would guess its the starter too but the thing is it cranks every time you turn the key. It just doesn't fire every time.
All the belts turn so you know the crank if moving, which that means the starter is making contact with the flywheel and turning the engine.
Thats why I rule out the starter.
Make sense?

BPMKA24DE
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah I would guess its the starter too but the thing is it cranks every time you turn the key. It just doesn't fire every time.
All the belts turn so you know the crank if moving, which that means the starter is making contact with the flywheel and turning the engine.
Thats why I rule out the starter.
Make sense?

yep it doz!

did you found it yet?