PDA

View Full Version : symptoms of...

Galen
08-08-2007, 01:49 PM
i have a redtop sr with a t28 turbo in it. about 5 months ago a spark plug blew out the top of the motor. it was at about 6000 RPM's when this happend.

so i pulled the heas and had a machine shop put in new spark plug inserts (its like a sleeve with new threads, but not hemacoiling).

i put all new gaskets on and threw the thing back togather, using the FSM and Zilvia as a bible.

i start it up and i get smoke out of the tail pipe. there was oil coming out og the BOV (symptons of a blown turbo) so i bought a T28 and threw that on.

again i started it up, and again i got smoke. this time there is no oil coming out of the BOV.

so i took it over to a shop and had the HG tested. he said that the HG was fine but that oil and coolant are coming out of the tailpipe.

MY QUESTION IS: could i have not done a good enough job scraping off the old head gasket when i replaced it? or is the head just toast? at this point is it better to buy a new motor?:confused:

thanks,

Galen

Secretsquirrel
08-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Do you have oil in your coolant? or is your oil milky? those are 2 good basic indicators.

SS

EnthusiastMan
08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
What color is the smoke coming from your tailpipe? If it's white, then you're getting coolant into the combustion camber when means either you didn't clean the block good enough or the head is warped(since you used a new head gasket). If the smoke is blue then your motor is burning oil. If you did have a blown turbo then you probably got oil into the combustion chamber that way. Since you replaced the turbo there might be still some oil left in the piping and still sucking it into the motor causing the smoke.

First determine what color the smoke is. White, pull the head back off and see what you or the head shop did wrong. Blue, drive it for awhile and see if it clears.

Hope this helps.

Galen
08-08-2007, 03:31 PM
it was hard to actually tell. it seemed to have a blue tinge to mostly white smoke. he said that there is a coolent leak around the intake mani (this confused me) but i could have heard him wrong. the smoke just gets progressivly worse (as the car heats up). no coolent is mixing with the oil. im going to swing by the shop tonight, any diognostic tips are welcomed!

Galen
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
bump for some tips or telltale signs that i can look for! ill look for smoke color. anything else that i can take a quick peek at?

:bigok: hoping for the best...

daryl337
08-08-2007, 06:52 PM
when does it smoke the worst? when you rev it? at idle? only on start up? on decel? Im asking so I can tell you whether it is a bottom end problem or a head problem.

Galen
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
^^ when you rev it. the smoke is bad enough that you cant really drive it for more than 5 mins. the shop ran a head gasket check (using a smog sniffer to detect something in the emissions) and found that the head gasket was fine. so, it looks to be something internal.

if you could tell me if its the top or bottom end that would be great!