PDA

View Full Version : Help with sr20det timing (setting timing chain)

opponheimer
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
So I followed scott /enthalpy's guide, and the car is way advanced timing.

TDC at the crank is (if facing the motor) 2nd mark FROM THE LEFT correct?

and i've been following the 5 - 20 - 8 pincount but I think I'm screwing something up.

The real question I have is, does anyone have a good pic of the cams with the crank at TDC (and not the FRSports pic) ?

When i set the tensioner off am I supposed to tighten the intake cam (rotate to the CCW) to take up the slack between the intake and exhaust? or do I leave it be?

Last case scenario If i have to line the colored links up with the marks on the crank and cam gears, how can I see the colored link at the crank? Will I have to remove lower and upper pans?

Thanks!

daryl337
08-08-2007, 11:59 AM
So I followed scott /enthalpy's guide, and the car is way advanced timing.

TDC at the crank is (if facing the motor) 2nd mark FROM THE LEFT correct?

and i've been following the 5 - 20 - 8 pincount but I think I'm screwing something up.

The real question I have is, does anyone have a good pic of the cams with the crank at TDC (and not the FRSports pic) ?

When i set the tensioner off am I supposed to tighten the intake cam (rotate to the CCW) to take up the slack between the intake and exhaust? or do I leave it be?

Last case scenario If i have to line the colored links up with the marks on the crank and cam gears, how can I see the colored link at the crank? Will I have to remove lower and upper pans?

Thanks!

I dont have a picture for you I am sorry. As for cam alignment, make sure your cam lobes are facing outwards at TDC to make sure you are on your compression stroke, then align the cam keyways (not the timing marks) as follows (intake cam 10 o'clock exhaust cam 12'oclock). This gives you a rough estimate. Then you start counting teeth. To verify pin count towards the crank pulley you do have to pull the pan's off and pull the timing cover off. Then rotate the crank clockwise a little to pull the slack out of the right side of the chain. At this point, you count pins from cam to cam and adjust as necessary. It is pretty self explanitory at this point.

opponheimer
08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
bump............