PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det transmission TOB/clutch fork/inputshaft question

onehalfasia
08-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I removed the transmission, and greased/fixed the TOB, inputshaft, and clutch fork...the clip that holds the fork ball joint part against the inside of the transmission snapped off, so the fork didnt move the TOB properly. After securing the clip theres a slight problem though.

When i move the fork all the way the TOB gets caught on the end of the input shaft, and when the clutch is released the clip disconnects and basically causes the fork to not function properly. Is the TOB supposed to do that? I'm worried that if the clutch slave moves the fork too far it'll unhook the fork clip and i'll have to remove that transmission to fix it again.

I'm wondering if i accidentally moved the fork too far when bleeding the slave cylinder or something(beyond what the clutch would do), but i want to be sure before reinstalling the transmission.

fliprayzin240sx
08-07-2007, 12:45 AM
It gets caught because its not pressing against the clutch. Once you install it, it shouldnt go that far and catch on the lip. Well unless you some kind of aftermarket clutch that uses a different size TOB and/or carrier.

Dream240
08-07-2007, 01:51 PM
The clutch fork should move freely when it's installed on the pivot ball. If the retaining clip is snapping off just go buy a new one from the dealer. They're like 4 bucks IIRC. Also once the throw out bearing setup is installed on the tranny, you should be able to move the fork from one end of it's movement to the other end without any mishap. Make sure you've lubed the inside of the T/O bearing properly, also lube the contact points for the clutch fork on the T/O bearing retainer.

The FSM has detail on the points that require lube. BUT NOT TOO MUCH!! Don't just gob it on there, getting it on the cltuch disc from centrifugal force will ruin it and you'll be doing the job twice.

Check out this website for all the basic clutch job replacement parts:

http://shop.nissanpartstore.com/parts.php?make_text=nissan&year=1991&model_text=240sx&ml=240-sx-002&my=1

Just scroll down to get to the retaining clip, etc.

GL