PDA

View Full Version : battery keeps dying

undesiredshoe
08-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok, my car is being shitty. I put altima fans on yesterday and now today the car doesnt want to keep a charge anymore. I wired up the fans correctly using 2 relays to power each fan and the fans work when needed. But now the battery doesnt want to keep a charge anymore. If i jump the battery with a running car, the car starts up and drives fine. I replaced the ground cable a couple months ago because it was having the same problems and that fixed it.

So after i put the fans in, i tested them a couple times with the car off to make sure they worked. The first time i went to start the car, the car cranked for a second and then stopped. I figured the battery must have been low so i jump started it and it started up and idled fine. I shut the car off and the seatbelts dont move and the dome light starts flickering.

I decide to take fan wiring off because i thought that might be the problem but its not. I cleaned the grounds and checked for resistance and got readings of about .2v. I think maybe coolant got on the alternator and messed it up or something got shorted somewhere. Ive checked all the fuses and they all are still good. Alternator fuse isnt blown. I still have to go and clean the alternator plugs. But other than that, i dont know what else to look for.

s13rookie
08-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Id say bring the battery and alt. to get it tested. If it is good, you have a load draw somewhere.

It takes a lot to short out an alt. Mine survived a timing chain break that cracked the head and soaked the alt in a 1/2 inch of oil and grime. I cleaned it with a lot of degreaser and a garden hose. works fine....for now

Edit: i just reread your post again and your dome light shouldnt flicker. either on or off, even if its very dim

MURPHY
08-06-2007, 11:34 PM
pm me how you wired em please :)

hmm that's weird tho. check the alternator/battery get it tested.

undesiredshoe
08-07-2007, 12:55 AM
ohh my dome light is led so it flickers on and off really fast. I dont think its the battery because i tried a different one. Even though it hasnt been used in a while, after i got it started and shut it off, the car did the same thing. Now im thinking its something to do with the alternator. Maybe somehow the terminal got corroded while i was putting the fans on or maybe a diode is blown in the alternator.

In the morning, ill take off the terminals and clean them and see if that helps. If not, then im pretty sure the alternator diode is blown because i didnt touch any other wiring. The only other thing i touched was the egr solenoid thing, i cut the plug off of it.