PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new Fuel Pump Install -Rust

rocksteady_racer
08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Ok so I took the top panel off and then the second one. When I took the second top panel off one of the bolts broke off. So I'm like eh I'm not concerned that's on top and I can drill it out and replace it. But when I tried to take the bottom panel off I could only get three of the screws out (you know the one right above the fuel tank). The other three are so badly rusted that they started to desenigrate when I tried to remove them. Is it ok to drill those out or would that be a bad idea since it's right over top of the fuel tank? Should I just wait til the tank is almost empty to do it and that be ok or do you guys have another idea of removing them. I don't want the car blowing up and I'd figure you guys be able to help. I fixed the rust in the trunk by grinding it out and putting some bedliner over top. It looks pretty cool at least LoL. Now only if I could put my new walbro 255. Well thanks in advance guys.

unicoladron
08-06-2007, 09:13 PM
i had the same problem as you, but my bottom cover was fine. but yeah all of the bolts were rusted on the top cover. i drilled a little, and i used a shitty slow black and decker cordless. i drilled a pilot hole, and used EZ-Outs to remove the studs. but umm, i've never seen sparks while drilling, but guess you should be concerned about the hot metal shrapnel. but just don't drill all the way through, and get enough of a pilot hole so the EZ-out fits...

babowc
08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
yeah.. dont drill too fast, you dont want to end up creating sparks right on top of gas.

to be safe, you can drain the fuel tank beforehand and you can go nuts on it.

rocksteady_racer
08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
thanks for your help guys