PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Swap Problems

ltsPureLuck
08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I've searched found several causes for these problems, just need some confirmation.

This is my first bolt on and first time seeing these problems as well.

What was done (all new):
S15 Turbo Swap
Tomei Expreme Manifold (7-Layer Metal Exhaust Gasket & 3-Layer Metal Turbo Inlet Gasket)
New Studs, Bolts, Washers for everything, locking plates for turbo inlet
Greddy Elbow
ATP Quick Tap (on the coupling between compressor outlet/hotpipe for WG boost source)
TF Hotpipe
HKS SSQV (filtered, has its own vacuum source no T's)

After installing all this, I took off the CAS, and cranked the engine 5 or so times in order to get the oil flowing. Then I started the engine with the CAS on, for about 4-5 mins I had no problems, warm up was perfect, no rough idles. I waited for operating temperature Then I revved the engine to about 3k RPMs then the problems started.

Problems:
1.HKS SSQV not going off
2.Compressor Surge? turbo started making a scratching noise, every other couple secs or so. It doesnt have shaftplay at all and it spins freely.
3. Burning smell and steam coming out from exhaust area.
4. HUGE oil spill, took about 4/5 of my oil, it only looks like its leaking a little but maybe because there was no more oil left, it came out of my oil feed line. I didn't notice it until i checked oil dipstick after I started hearing turbo noises and turned off the car.

I've read alot and did my best on this turbo swap so try not to flame. So can you give me suggestions & answers for these problems. Why the turbo isn't boosting, hks bov opening, smell/burning from exhaust manifold area, and how to seal the oil feed line so it wont leak.

Thanks Zilvians!

ltsPureLuck
08-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Any suggestions? about to work on it tomorrow morning

ltsPureLuck
08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Alright I put more oil and this time when i started it the ss oil feed like with the banjo fitting just poped out and spilled most of the oil. The threading on the block for the line isn't holding it strong enough. I'm going to convert it to non-banjo with a new oil restrictor bolt. Anyone know who sells oil restrictor bolts to the block?

turboeic
08-07-2007, 10:47 AM
What engine do you have?

ltsPureLuck
08-07-2007, 11:02 AM
SR20DET redtop. The bolt & the banjo fitting felt like it was on there pretty tight, but when i turned on the engine it just poped out and oil spilled. The threading on the block is not holding the bolt or the bolt is just to short.