PDA

View Full Version : Removing transmission *pics*

onehalfasia
08-05-2007, 02:30 AM
In the process and having difficulties, these pics dont do the sittuation justice but heres a few, I basically spent time trying all i could think of but the transmissions stuck somehow towards the upper area, it sways and seems basically removed but not quite removable :-/ also does the flywheel seems stock from the pic?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/onehalfasia/IMG_0849.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/onehalfasia/IMG_0841.jpg

skylindrftr
08-05-2007, 02:31 AM
if you have the fsm, check and make sure you got all the bolts =)

onehalfasia
08-05-2007, 02:35 AM
if you have the fsm, check and make sure you got all the bolts =)

pretty sure i got them all, seems like the transmissions snaged on the clutch or something i'll double check though

JDMClifford
08-05-2007, 02:47 AM
turn it 90 deg. its cought on the bellhousing. and you need to take it when its at a slight angle with the back of the tranny pointed down. would have ben easyer to pull the whole motor. just wait till you put the tranny back in, thats even more fun.

onehalfasia
08-05-2007, 03:01 AM
turn it 90 deg. its cought on the bellhousing. and you need to take it when its at a slight angle with the back of the tranny pointed down. would have ben easyer to pull the whole motor. just wait till you put the tranny back in, thats even more fun. 90* was my plan...tilting the transmission counter clockwise? after viewing a video of the dudes at Yashio factory removing/installing a transmission.

ka24deturbo
08-05-2007, 04:03 AM
From your picture looks like you have it, just a few more inches. Flywheel looks pretty much stock to me but I can't really tell from that angel.

s13rookie
08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
I bet its the locator/dowel pin on the bellhousing at 12 o'clock. I had to shake the crap out of mine for like 30 minutes before it popped out and the engine & trans came apart.

hatchbaak
08-06-2007, 07:30 PM
turn it 90 deg. its cought on the bellhousing. and you need to take it when its at a slight angle with the back of the tranny pointed down. would have ben easyer to pull the whole motor. just wait till you put the tranny back in, thats even more fun.
As he said. these things are just not easy to get out.I recommend Putting a plate under the oil pan and jack the engine up a little bit, makes it easier for the bellhousing to clear.

arkive43
08-06-2007, 07:34 PM
As he said. these things are just not easy to get out.I recommend Putting a plate under the oil pan and jack the engine up a little bit, makes it easier for the bellhousing to clear.

yep ive heard of this method.loosen the engine mount bolt a bit too...

when i get a new clutch im pulling the whole motor. fuk it.

kandyflip445
08-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Hah. I just did this like 2 weeks ago. Getting it in is MUCH harder. lol

Like JDM said, just rotate it. If you're looking at it from the back it would be clockwise. Putting it in is kinda hard. Just put it at the same angle as you had it taking it out to clear the bell housing and then rotate it straight up. Then pick up the rear of the transmission so it's in the tunnel kinda like it's supposed to be (it will be a little back though) and then push up on the front. You have to find the pilot hole though and that's a pain in the ass.

That flywheel looks stock. I thought the same with mine because the outside edge was clean on mine.

projectRDM
08-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Unbolt the downpipe. The engine will then be able to rock backwards towards the firewall, giving you all the room in the World. The problem is you're trying to pull it straight back when it really needs to slide downward to clear the tunnel.

babowc
08-06-2007, 10:23 PM
^looks like the dp is already unbolted from the rest of the exhaust.

Just get a small jack and jack up the front of the engine via oilpan using a 2x4 like hatchbaak said.
i had to do this 3 times in one night, and learned to do it very quickly.

putting it back in.. once you slide the tranny input shaft on the crank, get just enough so you can start bolting it up. then just use the bolts to get the two together.
you'll be frustrated for a bit while, as i was!

good luck!

ch1873857
08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
hmm. wait. did you take your shifter out?

babowc
08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
hm..
^good job bringing this back up..
You could probably EASILY take the tranny off if you took the jack away.

it'll leak some tranny oil, but just flush it while you have it out!

ch1873857
08-06-2007, 11:02 PM
back up? did i miss something?

SexPanda
08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Same thing happened to me. I had to lift the engine up slightly.

It was a bitch getting it back in. Had to get out the BFH to "massage" the chassis to make it go back in.

hatchbaak
08-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Same thing happened to me. I had to lift the engine up slightly.

It was a bitch getting it back in. Had to get out the BFH to "massage" the chassis to make it go back in.

Yea, its going to take alot of jiggling and twisting to get those splines lined up!

Dream240
08-07-2007, 09:15 AM
When I remove my transmission it just slides out once the bolts, shifter, starter, driveshaft, and tranny mount brace are removed. If it's hanging up on the top part then you are prolly hitting the firewall.

Tip the engine back by using a jack and a 2x4 on the underdrive pulley. You will only need to lift the front end by about an inch. DON'T LIFT BY THE PULLEY UNTIL IT LOCKS OUT AT THE TOP you'll be putting unecessary strain on your crank.

Another tried and true method is lower the entire engine crossmember. NOTE: THIS IS NOT SAFE AND SHOULD BE DONE WITH SUPERVISION What you do is support the engine crossmember in the middle with a jack, then loosen all four bolts that hold it to the chassis. ONLY LOOSEN THEM ABOUT HALF OF THEIR THREADS. Then slowly lower the jack until the engine x-member comes to rest on the nuts. This will give you some much needed space. Always keep a jack stand under it to help support it just in case the nuts give, although I've been doing this for years with no problems.

GL.

EDIT: When reinstalling, tipping the engine works best and minimizes your time under the car with a 70 lbs tranny in your arms. Also use the 90* turn trick. Point the starter bump toward the ground when you initially get the tranny on the splines. Also remember, you shouldn't have that 1" of space left where the tranny just won't got back on. If it seems the tranny is catching on something while your sliding it on and it stops about an inch from the block, your input shaft isn't lined up with the pilot bushing properly. Forcing the tranny on will only ruin the bushing and you'll be pulling the tranny back out in a couple months trying to figure out what that incessant whining noise is. If you use the tail end once you get the tranny on and maneuvre the tranny around until you feel it line up it'll slide right on with minimal effort. yes minimal....you'd be surprised how easy it slides on when it's aligned.

Just be patient and have someone help you lift up the tranny. I do it alone but, I'm just baller like that. Well, maybe it's cause I have no friends..... LONELY DRIVER!!!

georgesal
08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
the easiest way is just too tilt the motor back as stated above. but i but a 2x4 on the front oil pan lip not the crank, or if you have a hist just tilt the front back. then once out i just bang away at the trans tunnel on the car right where it turns into the fire wall and then presto next time you need to bring down the tranny no probelms at all slides in and out like it had KY

Dream240
08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
the easiest way is just too tilt the motor back as stated above. but i but a 2x4 on the front oil pan lip not the crank, or if you have a hist just tilt the front back. then once out i just bang away at the trans tunnel on the car right where it turns into the fire wall and then presto next time you need to bring down the tranny no probelms at all slides in and out like it had KY

Using any from of lifting on the oil pan will not only risk denting it, especially on the front where the oil pick up is, but you will most likely cause enough pressure on the pan that you'll pop the gasket and end up with an oil leak.

I say this from experience.

georgesal
08-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Using any from of lifting on the oil pan will not only risk denting it, especially on the front where the oil pick up is, but you will most likely cause enough pressure on the pan that you'll pop the gasket and end up with an oil leak.

I say this from experience.

I dont lift directly from the oil pan i lift from the lip you know the part where you put the bolts on. i would have to be a complete jack ass to lift from the pan itself.

pr240sx
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
NA...remove the cat exhaust hanger and rotate that sucker so the starter hump is pointing to the floor.
Bench press it and its done!
No need ot jack engine or anything.
Also, get your car as high as you SAFELY can.
I use ramps on front, and stands on the back.

Dream240
08-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I dont lift directly from the oil pan i lift from the lip you know the part where you put the bolts on. i would have to be a complete jack ass to lift from the pan itself.

Okay good. That's what I thought you meant but better to be safe than sorry. Yeah, when I was a young buck I made this mistake....much to my old car's demise... :( :cry:

steve shadows
08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
good advice from George Ive done the same thing in a pinch.

Next time your motor is out Hammer the corners of the firewall where the SR tranny likes to get stuck back with a sledge hammer like 1/4-1/2 inch.

If its a race car you shouldnt care.

I like it to be as easy as possible gd forbid something fails in there and it needs to come out fast.

onehalfasia
08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
thank you, this should be a stickied transmissions removal thread with all that good info ^

Heres my current question http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=152897

DJ_Sunrise
08-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Everytime I need to remove the trans I loosen the motor mounts, detach the hot pipe and cold pipe, remove the exhaust, and jack the front of the motor up as much as possible. This all makes it amazingly easy to get to the tranny bolts and for removal/install.

-Bart