PDA

View Full Version : Bad wheel hubs?

hellllo
08-04-2007, 01:12 AM
I noticed noise coming out from the passenger side of my brother's car. So i checked out the wheels and 4 out of the 5 lug nuts were loose. I took off the lug nuts and the studs poped out to the back. I took off the whole assembly and none of the wheel studs seem to fit anymore. I'm kind of new to the footwork of cars and was just wondering do I have to replace to wheel hubs. I think they are the Ichiba's and I've searched people saying they have a 1 year warranty. But I can't find any of my brother's receipts or how'd he get them. Will i have to buy new hubs?

HOw safe is it to drive if i tighten the studs with like locktite until i get moeny to replace them? No hard driving.

Thx in advance

916S14
08-04-2007, 01:44 AM
seems to me that you have the wrong studs if they get lose like that. You might have to press them in with a hydrolic press. They should fit snugly in there with the little rivets and stuff. Check the little teeth and see if they're worn out.

contranication
08-04-2007, 05:35 AM
well.... first of all if the lug nuts were loose, then whoever worked on the car before was an idiot

even with studs that don't fit right the lug nuts should have tightened to some degree.

Like 916S14 said check the teeth on the stud, it should fit into the hub leaving about 1/4" of the stud sticking out, if yours don't do that and go all the way through then replace them, cuz your never going to be able to tighten the lug nut enough for the car to be safe.

make sure all the studs are the right length when you replace em(if stock go to autozone, advance) ... if they are ichiba then those studs might be 60mm

and to answer your last question no you don't need new hubs unless the noise you heard was your wheel bearing going out

hellllo
08-04-2007, 08:55 AM
well the thing is all the studs are the same, but 1 out of the 5 holes, the studs can actually snuggle in, not tight and a little movable. but on the other ones, you can flick them out easily. so i'm using the wrong studs? the holes in the back of the hubs seem to be larger than the studs to really fit in

ej2civic
08-04-2007, 08:59 AM
put the stud in and tac weld the back so they don't come loose again.

projectRDM
08-04-2007, 02:29 PM
The studs have wallowed out the holes in the hub from being loose, so you can either tack weld them in, replace them with a larger knurl stud, or replace the hub.

mRclARK1
08-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Call me paranoid, but every so often, I check my lug nuts to make sure they're still tight. It takes 1 minute literally, and who knows when some jerk is gonna loosen them off cause he's jealous of your car etc... or you just didn't torque one properly and it came loose on it's own.