PDA

View Full Version : Weird electrical problem

2_fast_240
08-02-2007, 03:55 AM
So, I was changing my oil one night at my work and couldnt get the oil filter off. I tried to get a pipe wrench on it cause I didnt think we had a strap wrench (later found out we do). Well as I was trying to manuver it in there theres was a big spark. Im thinking I had to have hit the alternator lead wire with the wrench, which should have been covered with a boot but wasnt (dumbass move on my part). So I finish changing the oil, get in, turn the key, car starts... but wait, something weird. The clock isnt working, cd player not on, windows wont go up and down, lights wont go up and down (but turn on). I then hit the gas and everything comes to life. WTF.
Well it still ran fine so I wasnt to worryed about it at the time. Til' one day I was out driving around for like 3 hrs. (up til then it was all short trips) and it starts sputtering and basically feeling like it was loosing spark. Shortly thereafter it died. I try to turn it on but the battery was dead. So at that point I was thinkin alternator must be bad. Take alternator and battery to get tested. To my suprise the alternator was good, but the battery was bad. So I got a new battery, but the same thing happened when i turned it on(no electronics til i hit the gas). I figured since it didnt solve that problem it would probably die after another long trip, but didnt really want to test it and get stranded again. Im thinkin it must be a short going from the battery to the alternator. However, I wanted to see if anyone else thought this added up before busting open the wiring harness. And of course any other possible suggestions.

Addicted2Kouki
08-02-2007, 04:01 AM
My guess is that you shorted the wires from the alternator to the battery so its not charging.

Either way, whip out the circuit tester/voltage meter.

2_fast_240
08-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Some sidenotes here
-its basically like the battery has been unhooked everytime I start the car becasue the clock always resets itself
-antilock light is now on
-on one occasion the electronics actually came on when i started the car, but it seemed to take a little more effort for it to start(kinda backs up my theory)
-yes i checked all the fuses
-when i hit the breaks the cd player turns off (really annoying, and of course weird)

Thats all i can think of for now. Sorry if this is confusing to read, and for the long post.

2_fast_240
08-02-2007, 04:06 AM
My guess is that you shorted the wires from the alternator to the battery so its not charging.

Either way, whip out the circuit tester/voltage meter.

I would still have to cut open the wiring harness to follow it from the alternator to the battery though, correct.

Err wait, could i just touch one end to the entire positve battery terminal. Sorry I suck with electronics.

kamikazekid
08-02-2007, 04:35 AM
try looking at the wiring harness under the driverside fenderwell. the tires somtimes wear through a few wires during harsh driving, drifting, etc. causing anoying electrical problems. as for the battery im not sure. could be a combination of the two. just a thought.

2_fast_240
08-03-2007, 02:05 AM
try looking at the wiring harness under the driverside fenderwell. the tires somtimes wear through a few wires during harsh driving, drifting, etc. causing anoying electrical problems. as for the battery im not sure. could be a combination of the two. just a thought.

Uhh...im just gonna assume you got lost reading my confusing post...and thats all i gotta say about thayt.

all stock
08-03-2007, 06:22 AM
did you check all your fuses before you open up the harness?

Jpooks_S13
08-03-2007, 06:56 AM
are you sure your alternator isnt bad?I had a similar problem like you said your radio turns off when you hit the brakes..mine did that because at low RPM my alternator wasnt putting out enough power for it and my batt was dieing..ethier that or you shorted/fried somthing in your charging system not allowing the power to be sent.good luck

2_fast_240
08-03-2007, 07:19 AM
did you check all your fuses before you open up the harness?

Please read all posts before replying

2_fast_240
08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
are you sure your alternator isnt bad?I had a similar problem like you said your radio turns off when you hit the brakes..mine did that because at low RPM my alternator wasnt putting out enough power for it and my batt was dieing..ethier that or you shorted/fried somthing in your charging system not allowing the power to be sent.good luck

According to the Advance Auto Parts tester its not. But yea, I thought for sure thats what it was, all the signs pointed towards it. A guy at my work told me that if you put a volt meter on the battery and rev the engine, the reading should go up if the alternator is good too. It failed that test. So mabey the Advance tester sucks?

2_fast_240
08-03-2007, 07:32 AM
I also wonder if the alternator would fail Advance's test if the voltage regulator was bad. hmmm