PDA

View Full Version : FU pop-up lights.

SnakeKack
07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok I found a few threads about this but they never came to a conclusion. here's the deal...

Pop up lights are up. They won't go down. If I turn the lights on and spin the motor, the motor will catch and it will turn the light down, but it pops right back up. In other words, they don't go down on their own and when you put them down they come right back up.

So, I replaced the fuse in the fuse panel, I replaced the headlight blinker switch on the steering column, and the headlight button on the dash, replaced the relays in the box under the air filter, checked the plugs for corrosion and wire damage, checked and cleaned the motor grounds, and I swapped out the motors from my wrecked car which I know worked totaly fine(which i don't think was the problem anyway since when you spin it enough the motor will make it go down without problems, but it just comes right back up)....after all that they still do the same thing. A friend of mine has the same problem.

So is there anyone that figured this out yet? Or is there something that I missed when inspecting everything?

Sir
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
remember there are 4 relays for the pop ups
3 under the filter
4th is in the main fuse panel.

But check the driver side wheel harness as well. IIRC when a buddy of mine rubbed through his, he had issues with pop ups. we had to disconnect the motors for his to stay up.

whereda40at
07-31-2007, 09:39 PM
i have replaced all of my relays also and they still say up. i will try mine by winding them down and see if they stay down or pop up.

but because they do that i wanted to just go and get the front end without pop ups and convert it.

kandyflip445
07-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Make sure the arms are adjusted to the right length.

lok
07-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Try the contacts in the headlight switch in the column.

cotbu
07-31-2007, 11:50 PM
The last time I saw this problem. it was the diode pack. Just check everything

JDMClifford
08-01-2007, 12:53 AM
unplug your battery, then turn the knob all the way so the lights are down. then connect the battery and see if it fixed it.

FaLKoN240
08-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Headlights look better up anyways :)

zackt69
08-01-2007, 01:10 AM
mine was doing this too, I changed and checked everything and couldn't get it to work - I just put the lights up and unplugged the motors. Now the lights are always up - interested to see how you fix it.

tani160
08-01-2007, 01:17 AM
A while back I thought my headlights were stuck in the up position. I was still new to the S13s at that time and it was my first time driving around a car that old. I didn't know that there was a button that had unknowingly pushed that kept them up. I felt so retarded when I noticed that button a week later.

mestizo
08-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Did anyone think to check the switch on the dash that pops the head lights up for cleaning? If it goes bad then they will stay popped up, or maybe someone hit it by accident and they don't know that's what that switch is for.

SnakeKack
08-01-2007, 03:13 AM
Did anyone think to check the switch on the dash that pops the head lights up for cleaning? If it goes bad then they will stay popped up, or maybe someone hit it by accident and they don't know that's what that switch is for.

I've mentioned in my post that I replaced that switch already :-/

drifter808
08-01-2007, 03:56 AM
i got the same problem as you and have changed everything you have and still no fix.

240AM
08-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Every s13 I have owned has had the unique distinction of having only one headlight pop up. I got so sick of this that I removed the motors (weight reduction) and made a simple bracket to hold each headlight in permanent sleepy eye position. Worked out great and I no longer have to drive around with one light up and one down. I say that because it seems like you can trouble shoot these lights to no ends when you might as well just eliminate the system all together.

chaser
08-01-2007, 08:03 AM
mine work.............................................. ............................................

cwd240
08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Mine do the same thing. I found that if you turn the switch off on the dash you can turn them down manually without them going back up. Then if you need to pop them up just hit the switch. I went to a Nissan dealer and they were going to charge some ungodly amount to trace the wiring to find the problem since all of my relays and fuses are fine.

But like Sir said, it probably is in the wiring that is causing it to get messed up.

KRMS13
08-01-2007, 10:50 AM
i got the same issue but mine will not go down at all. i unhook the battery but nothing happened it still stay up. good thread!

SnakeKack
08-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Ok small update. I found out there is a headlight timer box next to the fuse panel inside the car next to the pedals. When you take the panel off there is a white box with wires going in it. Behind that box there is a black box. The black box is the headlight timer thing.

I replaced that. Nothing happened still the same. I'm just posting this since it is another thing connected to the headlight system that I replaced with no avail.

Some of you should try it though. May work for some.

steve shadows
08-01-2007, 03:25 PM
yeah after this kind of crap kept happening to me with fastbacks (only them for some reason) and pop ups I went with the circuit sports light kit, some say its ugly, or call it "ebay" or whatever i dont care, they wiegh like 1 lb 2 lbs a piece and no more fucked up pop up problems every time bumper tap a cop at a stoplight. :eek: haha