PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smell making me naucious

Bobafreak
07-31-2007, 12:18 PM
hey guys i recently got my car back from the shop (1990 240 sx se) and its been good so far the only question i had was im getting an exhaust smell everytime i roll down my windows just wondering if anyone else ever has that problem. Sometimes i can smell it just a tad when inside the cab with them up but thats all.(hit the search button or already and they said check where the spare tire area is so im gonna fix that) Im about to take it soon to the exhaust shop and have them check it out.
my mods consist of. It driving me crazy. even when at normal freeway speeds with the windows down i can still smell it.
sr20 black top
hks ssqv ver 2 bov
koyo radiator
tuned 1 bar ecu
stage 2 exedy clutch
hks hi power exhaust
hks downpipe
t28 turbo

SexPanda
07-31-2007, 12:22 PM
yep. if it smells like exhaust, its probably exhaust. You might have a leak somewhere. But if it smells like something else, like burining rubber or something, the shop you had left it at might have left something near or on your exhaust that's been burning off. Try to check it out yourself before you take it to another shop to avoid paying money for something you might not need.

Bobafreak
07-31-2007, 12:28 PM
i was thinking so too i was looking under the car and i put my hand near it to see if i could feel air coming through no luck. the exhaust is hot now should i wait a couple of hours and throw water on it? see if it bubbles anywhere?

tacotacotaco
07-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Same deal here you might wanna check your trunk area behind the wheel wells theres a vent box on either side with a flap. When you open your windows your creating a vacuum. If the flaps on the vent are stuck open or jammed this is most likely where the exhaust fumes are getting sucked in at.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/images/s13/s13_767-1.gif
courtesyparts diagram but its the box in the bottom right.

drifting_changed_mylife
07-31-2007, 12:31 PM
i love my exaust smell, its a cheap high

mrmephistopheles
07-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Just check your joints, you'll usually see soot stains.

btw the word is 'Nauseous'

Bobafreak
07-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Just check your joints, you'll usually see soot stains.

btw the word is 'Nauseous'
thanks i meant to correct it but i was busy typing. making sure i remembered everything.

SiI40sx
07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
at least its not like your running a downpipe only with a messed up shift boot on a sr causing a lot of exhaust fumes to go into your car and actually start burning your eyes......

Bobafreak
07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Same deal here you might wanna check your trunk area behind the wheel wells theres a vent box on either side with a flap. When you open your windows your creating a vacuum. If the flaps on the vent are stuck open or jammed this is most likely where the exhaust fumes are getting sucked in at.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/images/s13/s13_767-1.gif
courtesyparts diagram but its the box in the bottom right.

hmm intresting im gonna go check this out right now. See if its open. or is it only open during the the times the windows or open ill see if its stuck or anything. would it be ok if i left the them closed?

tacotacotaco
07-31-2007, 01:21 PM
yeah you can close em up. I dont see our cars being so airtight as to causing air pressure when all windows are closed due to pressure influx and these not realeasing air out.

Bobafreak
07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
ill keep you guys updated ill check that out then the exhaust see where it is.

los_inc
07-31-2007, 01:29 PM
i use to have this problem i couldn't go on trips lasting longer then 15 mins or else i would feel like puking
then i got a catback and headers and it's been quite alright since
-los

driftn_silvia
07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
are u running the exhaust system straight pipe?? no catalytic converter?

ripnbst
07-31-2007, 02:31 PM
I have this same issue although I am pretty sure the problem for me is in my spare tire well theres a huge hole where it looks like a rubber grommet belongs. Let us all know what ended up being the culprit.

Dream240
07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Here's what you guys need to be checking.

If you're smelling exhaust fumes when you roll the windows down when you're driving or when sitting still, check the engine bay for leaks. Most likely you have a leaking exhaust header.

Those fumes creep out all the edges of the hood, sneak through your external air suction vents just below the winshield, and especially in the cabin via the clutch master cylinder hole.

I'm betting you have a pre-cat exhaust leak. Check it and see.... :)

smurfgcr
07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
when i got an exhaust leak besides smelling it, it was a shitload louder and sounded like a subaru, the bolts between my header and dp got loose, that might be a culprit

steve shadows
07-31-2007, 04:34 PM

brain cancer is expensive imo

Bobafreak
07-31-2007, 05:52 PM
are u running the exhaust system straight pipe?? no catalytic converter?
yes im running a straight pipe,

I have this same issue although I am pretty sure the problem for me is in my spare tire well theres a huge hole where it looks like a rubber grommet belongs. Let us all know what ended up being the culprit.

im going to do that today and check the ones on the side as well and lock them down.

Here's what you guys need to be checking.

If you're smelling exhaust fumes when you roll the windows down when you're driving or when sitting still, check the engine bay for leaks. Most likely you have a leaking exhaust header.

Those fumes creep out all the edges of the hood, sneak through your external air suction vents just below the winshield, and especially in the cabin via the clutch master cylinder hole.

I'm betting you have a pre-cat exhaust leak. Check it and see.... :)

Funny that you say that because where the clutch master cylinder is, i do feel air coming from the shift knob area (i do not have a shift knob) and no boot cover as well. it could be another spot but ill do that i was wondering the part number for the shift boot and im going to get the knob maybe from the nissan dealership as well. or just go to a junk and get a stock one.

Doluck
07-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Wow, I cant even belive its gotten this far.

Like Dream240 said, SRs are know for the nuts on the turbo coming loose.
Pop you hood and check the bolts that hold the turbo to your mani, the turbo outlet, and the housing bolts..

IF not there buy a better car!! :) hehe

Bobafreak
08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
well i put in the full rear interior after spending (100 at a dismantler who had good clean interior.) killing half of the smell its not as bad as before but it can be better. im gonna check the bolts, see how the story goes. Thank you guys again and will keep you updated.

musikjunkie
08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
i had the exhaust smell in my car for some time whenever i drove. it wasnt so strong but you could smell it being there. and this was when i had a straight pipe but when i changed it into a cat the smell isnt there anymore

Bobafreak
08-07-2007, 01:22 PM
i had the exhaust smell in my car for some time whenever i drove. it wasnt so strong but you could smell it being there. and this was when i had a straight pipe but when i changed it into a cat the smell isnt there anymore

its funny how you say that i was thinking maybe because of my test pipe because i can smell it pretty well when i go underneath the car. also i can smell it coming from the engine bay because my slim fan is a puller. ill find out this week.

babowc
08-07-2007, 11:50 PM
when my car smelled..
it was always when i had something opened.

the drain holes.. holes under the seats..
when i had the 3rd brake light taken off..

etc.

check for holes, block it off with tape and see if it gets rid of the problem.

ziggity
08-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Do you run a cat? And so, you're getting nauseous from unconverted exhaust leaking somewhere?

I run my evo catless and it's one of the best smells in the world imo..

GSXRJJordan
08-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Having a cat/not having one doesn't make the exhaust leak, just allows you to smell more of it. If you're smelling it on the freeway it's definitely leaking from somewhere in the engine bay/directly under your shift boot area.

Dream240
08-08-2007, 09:18 AM
I run my evo catless and it's one of the best smells in the world imo..

You = fail

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/05/smog.jpg

It's cause there's too many people like you that our cities looks like this. Basically uncaring assholes that figure, 'what does my small car matter?' Yeah there's about a half million people in So. Cal. alone that think like you.

So run a cat.....and save a hamster....

http://www.pointerhill.com/store/images/hamster.jpg

**...this message brought to you by the carebears**

Bobafreak
08-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Went to the exhaust shop and they checked the exhaust itself its sealed he also thinks it could be from the testpipe as well. sighhhh i just want the smell gone thats all so im gonna check out the manifold, turbo and elbow along with the testpipe this weekend. sighhh

steve shadows
08-08-2007, 11:09 AM
You = fail

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/05/smog.jpg

It's cause there's too many people like you that our cities looks like this. Basically uncaring assholes that figure, 'what does my small car matter?' Yeah there's about a half million people in So. Cal. alone that think like you.

no its because of the 2/1 ratio of illegally driven cars (probably by non-citezens) to people who pay full tax to live in cali.

this is also why traffic sucsk total asshole and there are car fires on the side of the 101 at least once a day usually involving leaking lawnmowers

that and the vast majority is due the shipping trucks, conatiner ships and diesel trains moving the masses of material from one of the largest ports in the world. the port of LA

personally i love the smog and the gardeners it gives this toilet of a city character

to the OP

BUY A CAT

Dream240
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
no its because of the 2/1 ratio of illegally driven cars (probably by non-citezens) to people who pay full tax to live in cali.

this is also why traffic sucsk total asshole and there are car fires on the side of the 101 at least once a day usually involving leaking lawnmowers

that and the vast majority is due the shipping trucks, conatiner ships and diesel trains moving the masses of material from one of the largest ports in the world. the port of LA

personally i love the smog and the gardeners it gives this toilet of a city character

to the OP

BUY A CAT

Well when I say about 1/2 a million people I'm talking about people from all walks of illegality. And I'm sure your right the ratio of planet conscious law-abiders to careless pricks is around 2:1. It just irks me to hear people talk about the environment in such a callous way. Like they don't live here too.

While keeping this thread off topic, I read a factoid the other day about one energy inefficient A/C unit equaling about 250,000 cars in terms of pollution a year. Really the common automobile is on the lesser side of the scale, but it STILL makes a difference. It's more than just the car, it's the owner's mentality. If they drive around catless cars, what else do they do, or not do, to our environment?

*get's off soap box*

Sorry all but, this is just a passionate subject for me. Really are you gaining THAT much more power for your already really fast EVO by NOT running a cat? It's just not worth it.

RECYCLE!!!

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/581051/2/istockphoto_581051_green_recycle_symbol.jpg

Bobafreak
08-08-2007, 02:30 PM
hmmm well i dont want to get a cat but i talked to a tech he said to eliminate that problem he suggested the sard cat. its about 230.00 but if it will eliminate the problem im all for it if it does.

steve shadows
08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
hmmm well i dont want to get a cat but i talked to a tech he said to eliminate that problem he suggested the sard cat. its about 230.00 but if it will eliminate the problem im all for it if it does.

any CAT will work

it just depends on how much power your willing to lose.

wangan_cruiser
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM

its a cheap high but it leads to your untimely death.

check your whole exhaust and look for any small holes.

Bobafreak
08-08-2007, 03:06 PM
i checked and looked for the bubbles.exhaust is brand new not even 1000 miles on it yet. i was thinking putting the stock one back on but then i got this option which isnt that bad as long as the smell goes away. its bad driving 45 miles to and from on the 10 freeway mon-fri no ac and i have to keep the windows up to avoid the smell while sweating like im working out at 24hr fitness.

wangan_cruiser
08-08-2007, 03:17 PM
any little smoke coming out from turbo?

EchoOfSilence
08-08-2007, 03:26 PM
just buy a cat.

catco's fine.
sard? sure, man.

Bobafreak
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
any little smoke coming out from turbo?

no sir there is not. even in the morning cold start its fine. i even looked when taking off normal from the rear view. no smoke.

Bobafreak
08-08-2007, 05:00 PM
just buy a cat.

catco's fine.
sard? sure, man.

well thats what he recommended if it helps then hey im all for it. Sounds pretty good from what i read it gets the job done. ill do some research on the catco one as well.

wangan_cruiser
08-08-2007, 05:31 PM
i think all cats are the same. as long 3 inches in diam so u wont lose any hp. correct me if im wrong

Bobafreak
08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
i think all cats are the same. as long 3 inches in diam so u wont lose any hp. correct me if im wrong

ill lose hp regardless if i go with a cat but if thats what it takes to kill the smell then so be it. i cant keep doing this much longer. i will hop on a bus.

twofortyrida1388
08-09-2007, 12:00 AM
I have a similiar issue. Only when slowing down from 45+, backing up or turning slowly is when I smell my exhaust fumes.

EchoOfSilence
08-09-2007, 12:29 PM
you have a leak

Bobafreak
08-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Well nothing yet guys im going to take my car this weekend to this shop my friend was telling me about where this guys uses this machine to test out where it could be coming from. hopefully this will fix my problem. If not i will be replacing every gasket in the engine bay compartment if it doesent help ill try the cat. So far so the smell wont kill me i turn on the heater (theres no hot heat coming out) and let the cool air on through. Thats another discussion i wanted to bring up to. lol but for another time because its not bothering me since im in cali. unless it rains and get cold. lol

Dream240
08-09-2007, 03:03 PM
The device he's going to use is called a CO2 Probe. It will detect and pinpoint the density of carbon dioxide emissions. This will help you to tell where the leak is originating from.

Actually to be honest, I would have ordered all new gaskets for the mani and downpipe anyways. Then swapped those out to ensure you have a good tight seal on the turbo area, instead on constantly driving around like that waiting to have it looked at.

Do you have the necessary tools to pull the mani/downpipe apart to change out the gaskets?

Bobafreak
08-09-2007, 04:48 PM
starting from the downpipe down i know the gaskets were new but im not sure if it was from the manifold and turbo if i dont have the tools im pretty sure squidd does. though he cant talk now any comments made by the squidd will be posted by me. :)