PDA

View Full Version : RB20det jumped time

Project_RaceBreed
07-25-2007, 12:41 AM
What problems might this cause internally? LMK

twofortyrida1388
07-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Bent valves, dented or fucked up pistons, and if the pistons hit them hard enough crank or bearing damage. GL dude.

Sileighty_85
07-25-2007, 08:18 AM
What problems might this cause internally? LMK

Ive yet to see that happen. What leads you to believe? Unless you dropped a wrench or somthing in the head while running.

I ran the shit out of my R33 when I had it and never had a prob.

Project_RaceBreed
07-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Well, i had just replaced the water pump. In doing so the crank move slightly while the belt was off, i fixed that or believed i had fixed it with out using a timing light. I drove it for about a week and was going to pay for my tag renewal,i was driving around 60mph when i heard a huge back fire and saw a large cloud of black smoke plume out of the exaust. I backed out and then hit the gas again, It acted as if died and then backfired again, So i cut it off and coasted off the road. I checked The IC piping because when it leaks it back fires, There was no leak i checked the timing belt it wasnt loose but the cam gear marks were way off and i tried to see if it would start and it turned over but to no success. So i have determined via process of elimanation that it has jumped time.:bash:

SINxSELEKTAH
07-26-2007, 01:37 AM
sounds like it did jump time since you stated you replaced your water pump. did you happen to replace the belt as well while you did your water pump? the only real way to tell is to hook up your CKP & CMP to a lab scope and compare the synchronization results

Project_RaceBreed
07-26-2007, 01:43 AM
I did not replace the belt as it had been replaced only a few months befor (January to be exact).

johngriff
07-26-2007, 01:46 AM
If you suspect it, just re-time the belt. Whether or not you did damage is irrelevant, because it will have already been done. Re-time the belt, pull compression, and you should have your answer.

SINxSELEKTAH
07-26-2007, 01:48 AM
I did not replace the belt as it had been replaced only a few months befor (January to be exact).

interesting indeed. i always recommend changing out the water pump when doing a timing chain/belt job and vice-versa.

Sileighty_85
07-26-2007, 09:26 AM
well prepare for the worst since the RB Engines are interfering Engines
G/L Dude

skillzilla
07-26-2007, 10:25 AM
RB20 is NOT an interferance engine. 25 is AFAIK, but I have no first hand experience with them. RB20 is not though, I can verify that with personal experience.

aka your motor is fine.

skillzilla
07-26-2007, 12:57 PM
OK, I take that back. Searching my older posts on NICO jogged my memory, and it was a thicker metal headgasket (1.2mm for me) that caused it to not hit. Apparently the tolerance is really close, about 1mm, so a thicker HG was enough to clear the vlaves.

Anyways, I guess I can not say I have hands-on experience with a stock RB20, so yeah your intake valves are prolly toast. Exhaust valves may be fine :)