PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer completely dead

insane wayne
07-24-2007, 11:57 AM
The other day I was merging into traffic on the Turnpike in my S14, looked down at my speedometer, and to my suprise, was going 0 miles per hour. The bad news is that it hasn't moved since (the good news is, neither has the odometer:rolleyes: ). We did the auto to manual('95 manual tranny to '95 chassis car) swap last summer and the gauge has worked fine for the past year. all my search results turned up stories of inaccurate/fluxuating speeds, all of which seem to point to the speed sensor. I have an extra '95 trans in the garage with all the sensors attached, should it be a simple swap(I shouldn't say that, nothing with this car is ever simple), or could the electrical gremlins be somewhere else in the system?

Also, on a related note, after the drift clinic at englishtown a week or so ago my fuel gauge has been stuck at the "full" position. from what I read it seems like I just have to re-seat the float, right?

Sileighty_85
07-24-2007, 12:43 PM
its probably the sensor my buddies SR swap had the same prob. his speed sensor gear broke in half (its made of plastic) if you wanna just check if its the sensor find another one and plug it in and spin (Fast) it while key is in the "ON" position and the speed should jump. if it does the sensors bad.

zackt69
07-24-2007, 01:15 PM
+1 - my sensor was bad and I had the same problems. Changed it out and everything worked again.