PDA

View Full Version : KA doesn't start/turn over/ nothing

overb0ost
07-19-2007, 06:04 PM
alright, drove it last sunday no problems and park it for a week. doesn't turn over AT ALL. not the battery since i tried jump starting it and lights, radio, alarm all work the same.

i try to start it, nothing at all. its like basically starting the car without the clutch being depressed. no clicking except the first initial click when you try to start the car. doesn't even turn over. nothing.

i have replaced the starter 1.5years ago and also have a TOB on its way out (making a super charger sound). not sure if this TOB would cause the car not to start.

i tried tapping the starter and i hear it trying to turn over (i hear it trying to turn over once, then compelete silence) but not even a significant attempt. it sounds like trying to start the car with a competely dead battery ). very feint sound. the noise only occurs once and then disappears. you basically only hear it 1 time every 24hrs kinda deal.

engine is stock, had overheating problems before from having the rpms pinned in redline for 10min straight but no sign of fatigue. always starts up right on time and no hesitation.

asked a few ppl, said it could be the clutch has shattered, starter COMPLETELY dead, engine piston seized from overheating.

any other areas i have overlooked and i can check? it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

h23
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Corroded signal line to the starter, maybe?

nissan6578
07-20-2007, 01:09 AM
be ballin like me and make a engine start switch. hard wire a switch from the stater straight to the battery. these cars are haunted by ele3ctric probs

boost_it7
07-20-2007, 07:44 AM
It sounds like you're having the same problem I am. I made this thread and got some helpful replies.....
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=150954

Hope that helps.

projectRDM
07-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Bypass the starter relay. That will alleviate one issue in the equation and make troubleshooting easier. Next, check for 12V at the solenoid (black/yellow wire) when the key is turned. If you have it, replace the starter. It's that simple.

fluidd
07-20-2007, 12:23 PM
whaaaat happened samson? ohhhh mann.

streetborotougepimp
07-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Take your starter out.

This happened to me one time. The nipple/boobie part of the starter completely broke off and was sitting on the flywheel. the little gear would jump out but couldnt turn.

pull the starter. see what it looks like. maybe just a relay, or a solenoid.

defiantmofo
07-20-2007, 06:39 PM
check you starter ground cable. they tend to fall off/get corroded. also check your relays in the fuse box.

overb0ost
07-20-2007, 07:46 PM
i just went under and tapped the starter a bit while my gf turned the key.

i see sparks inside the starter when i tap it and turn the key. maybe completely dead battery?

ill put my friends battery in and see wat happens. if not, ill take out the starter and go from there

240tek
07-20-2007, 07:54 PM
have you tried jump starting it or dont want to even attempt? TOB should have no real affect, and the car ran fine before parking it...

projectRDM
07-20-2007, 08:12 PM
check you starter ground cable. they tend to fall off/get corroded. also check your relays in the fuse box.

There is no ground cable on the starter, it grounds through the chassis. Don't post if you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

SexPanda
07-20-2007, 08:41 PM
i just went under and tapped the starter a bit while my gf turned the key.

i see sparks inside the starter when i tap it and turn the key. maybe completely dead battery?

ill put my friends battery in and see wat happens. if not, ill take out the starter and go from there

Im pretty sure the starter isnt supposed to spark.

overb0ost
07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
update: volt meter to the battery = 12.45V

trying to crank it = 12.01 or something

battery is alive

question now is, how do i test the starter when its outta the car?

SexPanda
07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Take it to auto zone lol

oh wait do they do starters? I know they do alternators... Damnit now I have to know.

westcoastpj
07-21-2007, 12:53 AM
try putting the key in accesory,then press the clutch,then turn the key while pushing it in.thats the technique i gotta use .i get tired of it,and im still trying to diagnose the problem

SexPanda
07-21-2007, 12:55 AM
try putting the key in accesory,then press the clutch,then turn the key while pushing it in.thats the technique i gotta use .i get tired of it,and im still trying to diagnose the problem

dude thats the safty switch. You have to push in the clutch in order to start the car.

projectRDM
07-21-2007, 08:13 AM
update: volt meter to the battery = 12.45V

trying to crank it = 12.01 or something

battery is alive

question now is, how do i test the starter when its outta the car?

Take a battery charger, jumpbox, or a set of jumper cables, whatever you have that's live. Clip the negative lead to the case of the starter (one of the mounting ears is fine) and the positive lead to the stud on the solenoid. Now touch the black/yellow trigger to the positive also, if it doesn't spin over the solenoid is bad. Now with the positive lead still on the main stud, arc it to the other stud using a screwdriver, something with a plastic handle, to bridge the points. If it doesn't spin over then, the gear drive is bad. Either way you'll need to replace the unit or have it rebuilt.

pretending2bepro
07-22-2007, 07:36 AM
instead of arcing your starter and ruing the studs just take it to autozone where they can do a full test... yes they do starters, i work there and they will test it for free... biggest thing to check for though is the check engine light... if it is on pull code on it, this will help to narrow your search... s14 in most cases is a simple matter of renting an obdII scanner and reading the ecc... s13 is a little more complicated but not hard... if you still need help just pm me i will be more than happy to help without trying to make you feel dumb like the individuals who get rep power by being asses

projectRDM
07-22-2007, 08:32 AM
instead of arcing your starter and ruing the studs just take it to autozone where they can do a full test... yes they do starters, i work there and they will test it for free... biggest thing to check for though is the check engine light... if it is on pull code on it, this will help to narrow your search... s14 in most cases is a simple matter of renting an obdII scanner and reading the ecc... s13 is a little more complicated but not hard... if you still need help just pm me i will be more than happy to help without trying to make you feel dumb like the individuals who get rep power by being asses

Nice try idiot. The CEL has nothing to with starting problems, nor would there be any code stored to suggest that. The CEL is for emissions related problems only, if the car hasn't even started yet there's no way to store a code for anything. And if you want to insinuate that I or other members are asses who make people feel dumb, maybe you should take an English class and learn what punctuation and capitalization are so you can at least look remotely intelligent. Right now you just look like another fucking useless troll who doesn't know his shit from his car keys.

overb0ost
07-22-2007, 09:11 PM
thanks guys for all the helpful info.

i checked the starter and it was dead

put a new one in and i'm good!

it really seemed like a battery problem, i guess the starter just ran outta life within that time period. usually knocking the starter with a hammer works.