PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference in these coilovers?

DSC
01-22-2002, 08:07 AM
Just wondering what the differences between these two were. They both run about 1000-1200, both height adjustable. I couldn't find much on the apex dampening adjustment but the tien is 16way. Can anybody give me any more info on these?

240 2NR
01-22-2002, 08:43 AM
You can't find info on WS damping adjustment because there isn't any.  I have heard both are very nice units.  However each has its own major draw back.  The WS come with non english instructions which tend to get confused and cause failure (somewhere in the upper mount they are different than typical and without reading the instructions, they are mismounted and cause a failure in the strut, causeing it to break or puch though its upper mount.  Don't know the exact details other than it has happened before more than once, however properly installed they are great.  D a quick search and you should find it), so if you get them, plan on doing some research before the install to learn what not to do.  Apex'i has gotten out of this because they these are not a street setup, and since they fail on the highway and not the track they aren't liable.  Otherwise very nice (aside from the lack of damping adjustment).

The Teins are my dilemma right now.  Very nice units, but apparently they have a tendancy to corrode a little after a few years (not good for me if I drive in winter) due to the steel case.  I have heard it can cause the perch to become stuck and the paint to bubble and flake, but again its all what I've heard.  I'm pretty much split between these and the whiteline kit with whiteline springs and koni shocks, plus bushings and sway bars for the same price.

crazycuban
01-23-2002, 09:49 AM
the WS is more oriented for comfort driving, the HA more for sport driving - although they're both capable.  the HA's are beautiful though...thats what i have...

01-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Comfort driving on WS dampers?  Nope, unless your local roads are paved yearly...
The WS set sells $937 shipped from RollHard.com

crazycuban
01-23-2002, 12:01 PM
meant that its more comfort oriented than the tiens...not that its comfort oriented at all...