PDA

View Full Version : Possible Electrical Problem

nissan_driver24
07-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Alright i know i dont' post very much but i have a problem i'm trying to deal with and would like some educated help on.

My problem started when I went to hook my deck back up on my car the deck wouldn't turn on after turning the key into the acc or on position. Yes i tested the deck to make sure it works by hot wiring the acc lead and the deck turned on... yes the fuse is good ect ect.... i went searching around and found out under the hood the 25 amp ignition fuse was bad, thinking that was the problem i replaced it and the deck still doesn't come on. After replacing the fuse the car drove very well because before it would run really shitty especially when cold but that's not what i'm worried about. So after a while of checking this and that such as the ignition switch my wiring ect ect. I noticed that my safc2 and acv-r doesn't come on while on the acc position either which i know is supposed to...

Another problem that caught my mind while messing with the car to try to get the radio to work was that when u turn the key into the on position and hear the fuel pump come on for like 5 seconds then turn off, and after you turn it back into the off position the dash lights stays on (brake light, seat belt lights ect ect) as if the key was still in the on position... but if u start the car up and turn it off the lights go off.

With the problem in mind this did happend after doing an engine swap to a red top sr20det in a 92 fastback. And these problems were not there before i did the swap.... I know it probably has something to do with the wiring i did.... which i thought i did correctly, but no ones perfect. No this is not the first time i have done a swap and i'm acturally pretty good with electrical stuff just wanted to check the forum to see if any1 else has run into this kind of problem...

Sorry about the long post just trying to explain everything in detail the first time.... hopefully someone could direct me in the right direction on where to go with this problem.

MIke

240tek
07-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Hey Mike,

check the fuses by the driver side foot as well. When I installed my deck I did the same thing and found that whore 12V fuse down by driver side panel. Otherwise you must trace it back to relay I believe.

nissan_driver24
07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
i'll check the ds kick panel again i did check those fuses and they are all good but i do rememeber removing these metal things that were plugged where two different fuses would be.... i thought it was kinda odd so i pulled them out maybe they have something to do with it but i dunno... anymore input would help guys...

2plus4plus0eq6
07-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I had some really weird shit happening with my car when I installed my system as well. My wipers would come on everytime I started my car and stuff. My headlights or my deck wouldn't come on.

It didn't make sense. All it was, was the stupid 'blower' fuse. Whatever that is. Replace that and some of the other fuses anyways to test it out. It may appear intact, but ya never know.

240tek
07-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Exactly, fuses can be hard to diagnose without a continuity test. easy with multimeter, touch probes together makes noise, probe em like ET!

nissan_driver24
07-16-2007, 11:13 PM
well i messed with the car today it looks like the contact where the fuse would sit wasn't contacting at all that's why someone shoved a piece of metal into it to make it work... i knew i shouldn'd have pulled it out... but anyways the radio works fine now.... just the problem with the car not turning off which i think is kinda weird.... any1 with the same problem?

240tek
07-18-2007, 01:06 AM
when you remove the fuse, the tinfoil one, lol. Do the lights stay on as you described or do they, like the stereo not stay on. In other words, it's an ignition related issue. Apparently, starting the car opens a relay or something to clear the cluster lights. As you mentioned, something may be wrong with the wiring. Be a kid again and TRACE

nissan_driver24
07-18-2007, 09:31 AM
when you remove the fuse, the tinfoil one, lol. Do the lights stay on as you described or do they, like the stereo not stay on. In other words, it's an ignition related issue. Apparently, starting the car opens a relay or something to clear the cluster lights. As you mentioned, something may be wrong with the wiring. Be a kid again and TRACE

haha nah the fuse wasn't wrapped the contact was just bad so that's why the radio wasn't coming bad. I havn't check whether or not the stereo and ignition problem is related but i have been so damn busy to check. Kid and work takes up a lot of time.... i'll keep you updated.

petex
11-28-2007, 05:45 AM
my friend has this same annoying problem. dash lights stay on. it's draining his battery. i checked grounds and relays. lights turn off only after you shut off the engine. if you just turn the key on, and off, the light will stay on. i know there is accessory relay 1, 2. also ignition relay. i have complete power distribution wiring diagram from alldata printed out right in front of me. i checked continuity between ignition lock and relays behind headlight. the only way i get to turn of the dash lights, when i take out ecu fuse or ecu relay in the box behind pass headlight.

g6civcx
11-28-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm having difficulty understanding your problems.

Check the ignition switch itself. Unplug the ignition harness and probe the 5-pins while you work the key and check for continuity and lack thereof as specified in the EL section of the FSM.

Sometimes the ignition switch gets old and needs to be replaced.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to check all your grounds, all fuses and fusible link, relays, and then start tracing individual wires.

I would also check underneath the front left fender if your car is lowered.