PDA

View Full Version : best 3" 2 bolt gasket I can get?

tastyratz
07-14-2007, 10:35 AM
So I need to replace the 3" exhaust gasket between the downpipe and test pipe, and the test pipe and exhaust.... AGAIN.

Every time I get a friggin gasket they end up being cheap and blow out. I need REAL gasket thats not gonna just blow out. Where can I get the sturdiest gasket I can buy???? maybe a copper gasket?

The way I made my downpipe its just slightly crooked to what the exhaust needs, so I need to really clamp stuff down HARD and have a quality gasket. (gonna probably have to run 2 gaskets on that side) The gasket I picked up for my 38mm tial was called a fire ring gasket and that seemed to be one hell of a nice gasket... Why cant I find any good 3" exhaust ones?

sean350z
07-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Yea I'm interested to...I blow the greddy ones really easy for some reason.

Ninjabread
07-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Don't know if this helps at all but for my header / cat flange, I used hi-temp (2000*) silicone sealant because my flange is warped and otherwise it would not seal completely.

Been holding up for months now, no leaks.

s13rookie
07-14-2007, 11:37 AM
i think tomei makes a pretty heavy duty metal gasket. but im sure it also carries a pretty heavy duty price. May be what you need though

RedtopTech
07-14-2007, 07:43 PM
use a steel hammer and block of wood to straighten out the flange's, buy the gaskets from NAPA or Advance auto, coat in copper spray or high temp silicone and tighten the bolts to about 25 lb/ft. More torque is not better.you can also apply muffler cement around the flanges for added reliabilty, it knocks off easy when you need to but holds strong.

Ninjabread
07-14-2007, 09:29 PM
^^ I tried that but with my exhaust bushings, it would always crack because they have no give (poly hangers). I can move the carwith the exhaust without it moving 1 mm, its soo tight.

tastyratz
07-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Ive used the liquid gasket before but it never seems to do the trick. These flanges are really not lined up at all. This isnt a warped flange, its a flange thats cocked just a little bit but cant do anything about since its welded now.

I think I am gonna try the copper stuff this time around though, good call.

If that doesnt work I am gonna have to pick up a 3 inch flange and just have it ground into a pie cut shape.

kandyflip445
07-14-2007, 11:52 PM
OMG. I can't find the thread where a guy mentions these gaskets that are kinda thick but compress when you tighten the fasteners down. They're supposed to be really good and have a warantee. I'll let you know if I can find the damn thing.

EDIT: I freakin found it!!!!!

http://www.remflex.com/index.htm

Hopefully those work out for you.

tastyratz
07-15-2007, 08:55 AM
seriously I could hump your leg - those look AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!

bardabe
07-15-2007, 09:08 AM
dude those gaskets are bad ass. 1 <3 you !!! lol

nevaland9
07-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Fuck gaskets, I welded almost everything together. The turbo to elbow and Mani and then downpipe to test pipe, my car only uses two gaskets, test pipe to exhaust and elbow to downpipe (which are prob the only two locations that never leak). LEAK PROOF. done

sean350z
07-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Fuck gaskets, I welded almost everything together. The turbo to elbow and Mani and then downpipe to test pipe, my car only uses two gaskets, test pipe to exhaust and elbow to downpipe (which are prob the only two locations that never leak). LEAK PROOF. done

Can't weld titanium to stainless to titanium...or else I would do this. Titanitum welders are hard to come by too :)

tastyratz
07-15-2007, 09:45 AM
yip same, cant mix metals as easily as hoped for. I welded together my downpipe out of mild steel, have a stainless test pipe, and a titanium exhaust. Even if I could, my downpipes spaghetti and hard enough to take out as it is

kandyflip445
07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Glad I could help! Let me know how those work out and which size/spacing they are. lol

I have a leak at my cat>catback gasket.

nrg
07-16-2007, 12:26 AM
I use the multi layer OEM gaskets. Just like the s15 7 layer exahust manifold gasket. they have them for 3 bolt 3" down pipe (4 layer), 2 bolt 3" (4 layer), turbo to manifold (4 layer), etc.
It's the same shit that comes with the tomei manifold set.

TheWolf
07-16-2007, 05:14 AM
mr. gasket header felt + red hi-temp silicon + 24 hours to dry = never leak.

scottie
07-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Remflex is awesome. I got them for my exhaust. Quality is top notch. They guarantee the darn things! Cant go wrong.

Scott

MrChow
07-22-2007, 02:56 PM
OH god... I <3 the search button. =D

I'm glad I have a dealer next to me. Sorry for bump. Good stuff.