PDA

View Full Version : Motor Swap Questions Thread

onehalfasia
07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
hello, front clip arrives tomorrow morning, this is my first motor swap and i'm kinda assuming i'll be able to remove everything from the clip and figure out where it goes on the 240. I have a few questions, i search and read but asking questions in a thread is simpler than searching. so...

I'm not sure how to deal with wiring, specifically the RHD jdm harness with the LDH and usdm firewall. Also If i'm gonna run Apexi Power FC D-jet in a few months how to wire things for that to work also. Do i have to cut a passage in the firewall for the JDM harness to reach the left hand drive, or extend the wires...is there any harness job or whatever lightening that works properly with the d-jetro. basically not sure about the harness situation, i'd like the cleanest setup capable with the apexi.

I guess thats all i'm wondering at the moment, I'll probably have a few other questions for a few days during the swap. I'm going for a completely stock install since i cant afford parts(injectors, management, toda flywheel/clutch, guages, radiator, ect...) at the moment. thank you for your time :hsdance:

john

Mlogue84
07-11-2007, 11:05 AM
How about you stop being lazy and search, There are threads that discuss this. You're gonna waste a lot more time making an ass of yourself than if you just searched.

onehalfasia
07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
i doubt it, in the time you spent writing that you probably could have provided useful info...

also this is from heavy throttles swap guide...can i remove the CONSULT diognostic wires and connector with the stock sr20ecu or apexi d-jet.

"The rest of the wires are for the CONSULT diagnostic device. It is not necessary to connect any other wires than those listed above to get the SR to run properly.

Connect the remaining wires if you plan to use the onboard diagnostic CONSULT connector. "

Mlogue84
07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
See if this helps. I was a little harsh at first.

http://www.frsport.com/sr20det-swap-engine-harness-wiring-guide-sr20-p-665.html

Dream240
07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I have a few questions, i search and read but asking questions in a thread is simpler than searching. so...

There you go, the epitome of being lazy. Either way you're going to have to read the threads that have the info. If you're this lazy when it comes to searching, how many corners are you going to cut doing the install?

The best and most efficient way to solve your problem is extending the wires. You can buy ready-made wiring harnesses online, or send yours to a shop to do it for you.

GOOGLE SEARCH!!

Or just make it easy and leave all the excess SR wiring clumped up on the passenger floor board after you install everything. Looks really JDM that way.

onehalfasia
07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
See if this helps. I was a little harsh at first.

that info is helpful, How does all that rewiring work alright with the Apexi Power FC? Also how about routing the RHD wiring with the LHD firewall/chassis.

onehalfasia
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
There you go, the epitome of being lazy. Either way you're going to have to read the threads that have the info. If you're this lazy when it comes to searching, how many corners are you going to cut doing the install?

The best and most efficient way to solve your problem is extending the wires. You can buy ready-made wiring harnesses online, or send yours to a shop to do it for you.

GOOGLE SEARCH!!

Or just make it easy and leave all the excess SR wiring clumped up on the passenger floor board after you install everything. Looks really JDM that way.

I'll search, also the previous owner had 3 sr20det's in the car so the wiring could possibly be set, Seems like theres alot of wiring though compared to other sr swaps i've seen. Either way i'm probably gonna remove the rest of the wiring, and sort things out this afternoon. I'm looking for the minimal wiring for cleanness and proper function with the Apexi D-jetro, or stock sr20det ecu.

Mlogue84
07-11-2007, 11:34 AM
http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/electronics/pages/powerfc.php

onehalfasia
07-11-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/electronics/pages/powerfc.php

well idk about that link, i'm not gonna worry about the apexi, i just figured since its a direct install with the stock s13 ecu and harness, that if i splice and reorganize the harness it might not work properly. I'm not really asking to be spoon fed, i'm looking for advice...pretty sure i'll be able to figure it out though.

Mlogue84
07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
You can do it, It's gonna use the stock harness just fine. What SR btw?

Dream240
07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
well idk about that link, i'm not gonna worry about the apexi, i just figured since its a direct install with the stock s13 ecu and harness, that if i splice and reorganize the harness it might not work properly. I'm not really asking to be spoon fed, i'm looking for advice...pretty sure i'll be able to figure it out though.

The only way you'll have mate up problems with the Apex FC and your "repaired" harness is if you screwed up the rewire. It's designed to use the stock ECU harness connector just as if it was the ECU itself.

Since you sound like you're going to be doing the rewire yourself, I would recommend getting the appropriate SR FSM and study that electrical section like it's the Holy Bible. Other wise you could end up with an electrical mess the size of which this forum has never seen. Especially if you've got the remains of 3 previous harnesses in there.

Why not source out a completely clean already cut and ready to install harness from the web? Seems to be alot less hassle.

Mlogue84
07-11-2007, 03:30 PM
^^^ Word

He's got a good point.

onehalfasia
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
You can do it, It's gonna use the stock harness just fine. What SR btw? red top s13 not sure, heres a pic of the actual clip... http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/onehalfasia/DSCN3139Large.jpg

onehalfasia
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
The only way you'll have mate up problems with the Apex FC and your "repaired" harness is if you screwed up the rewire. It's designed to use the stock ECU harness connector just as if it was the ECU itself.

Since you sound like you're going to be doing the rewire yourself, I would recommend getting the appropriate SR FSM and study that electrical section like it's the Holy Bible. Other wise you could end up with an electrical mess the size of which this forum has never seen. Especially if you've got the remains of 3 previous harnesses in there.

Why not source out a completely clean already cut and ready to install harness from the web? Seems to be alot less hassle.

i have an sr FSM from the web. I'd rather rewire and save a few hundred for other parts...I'm gonna remove the entire 240sx harness, and S13 harness and figure out whats needed for the car afterwards.

Vision Garage
07-11-2007, 04:48 PM
splice the two harnesses together then put it back the way it should. behind dash through existing firewall holes. Power FC shouldnt have to do anythign with wiring since its plug and play. Unless you mess up on wiring power FC shouldnt matter. If you are gonna run AVCR you will splice into wiring later.

kassed33
07-11-2007, 05:22 PM
for like a $100-$200 you can have Yury do it and save you a "Lot" of time and have it done right the first time check it outhttp://www.wiringspecialties.com/s13sr20det.html, i used them for my S14 SR swap and had them wire in the SAFC2 while he was at it, they did a great job and saved my lots of time