PDA

View Full Version : Limitations of stock suspension on S13?

DrtyRat
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm gonna be putting on my wheels in the next month and want to have my suspension set-up as good as possible. Wheels are 17x9 +17(MB weapons of course)will have 225/40/17 tires and I know that they're gonna need a roll to fit properly. I was going to save up for adjustable suspension(i.e. ruca, lca, etc.) but then I came upon a thread on a local forum.
One of the post, in the thread, talks about stock suspension having some adjustability to it. I was not aware of this and I began wondering if I could have a proper set-up w/stock suspension, save my megan racing c/o's. What would be the limitations of the stock suspension in terms of camber, toe, etc.? I ask b/c instead of spending money on some megan adj. suspension pcs. would I be better off maybe just replacing the bushings on the stock units and using them? This car is not tracked or anything, just spirited driving/poser status :). So I'm thinking that adjustable suspension might be overkill.
Feel free to chime in for both side of the argument....stock arms w/new bushings or adjustable suspension. Please, if your going to comment for the adjustable suspension, spare me the "don't buy megan" stuff, or at least don't clutter the thread w/too much of it. I'm just looking for opinions on staying stock or going adjustable.
Also, being fairly new to this, anyone got links on where I can read up to learn more.
P.S. As soon as I get these mounted I will get a proper alignment

fliprayzin240sx
07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Reason you need adjustable arms is when you lower the car. The lower the car is, the more out of spec your alignment will be. It gets to the point that the stock arms cant be adjusted enough to keep the alignment within spec. So you need the aftermarket arms to make up for it and give you more adjustments than the stock one. But if your sticking with stock suspension and maybe some lowering springs, then you can get away with some eccentric bolts/camber kits to keep your car aligned.

If you decide to slap on the MRs and dump the car more than 2" from stock ride height, then youll need atleast the RUCA for the rear to try to keep your alignment within spec, but then again, with that set up for rims, the extra camber on the stock RUCA will help fitting those rims under the rear fenders. The fronts, I wouldnt worry about too much since MRs got camber plates on them already. Buy some Tension rods for the fronts if you havent and maybe replace the tie rod ends, if not the whole tie rod setup since S13 tie rods suck.

dopeassjackson
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
if your wheels are heavy it kind of defeats the purpose.

yes all stock cars and a caster, camber and tow adjustment, for the most part. how do you think they realign your car. just putting wheels on your car will do nothing to the alignment angles.
if you lower your car you will need RUCA or the adjustment cam bolts.

undesiredshoe
07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
stock 240s arent caster adjustable

DrtyRat
07-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Reason you need adjustable arms is when you lower the car. The lower the car is, the more out of spec your alignment will be. It gets to the point that the stock arms cant be adjusted enough to keep the alignment within spec. So you need the aftermarket arms to make up for it and give you more adjustments than the stock one. But if your sticking with stock suspension and maybe some lowering springs, then you can get away with some eccentric bolts/camber kits to keep your car aligned.

If you decide to slap on the MRs and dump the car more than 2" from stock ride height, then youll need atleast the RUCA for the rear to try to keep your alignment within spec, but then again, with that set up for rims, the extra camber on the stock RUCA will help fitting those rims under the rear fenders. The fronts, I wouldnt worry about too much since MRs got camber plates on them already. Buy some Tension rods for the fronts if you havent and maybe replace the tie rod ends, if not the whole tie rod setup since S13 tie rods suck.
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I already have the megans on w/about a 3" drop. Funny thing is, as of right now I don't get any camber wear on my rear tires, but I still need to get a good alignment. Just curious how much camber do you think is gonna be in the back? I know I need some but I really don't want anything too crazy.

kandyflip445
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I know the bad toe alignment kills tires way faster than camber being off. My camber was off 2 degrees in the rear and Sears said they couldn't align it cause it was maxed out. Turns out that it was maxed out the other way but I had already bought RUCA's and was putting them on when I found out. So make sure you look at the bolts before they feed you a bunch of crap.

aznpoopy
07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
#1 don't waste cash on megan arms

#2 you can lower and keep toe within spec, but you'll have to keep the drop conservative.

mRclARK1
07-10-2007, 03:55 PM
#2 you can lower and keep toe within spec, but you'll have to keep the drop conservative.

I dropped 1" and kept my toe in spec. I would say 1.5" or so is probably max.

But now with new tie rod ends my toe is outta wack anyway till I get my alignment. lol

kandyflip445
07-10-2007, 10:01 PM
God I hate myself for doing all my suspension piece by piece and getting it aligned everytime. If I did it again I would buy all the parts I needed that effected alignment, and install them all at the same time. SOOOOOO much cheaper.

aznpoopy
07-11-2007, 07:53 AM
God I hate myself for doing all my suspension piece by piece and getting it aligned everytime. If I did it again I would buy all the parts I needed that effected alignment, and install them all at the same time. SOOOOOO much cheaper.

+1 million

i hate myself for the same reason