PDA

View Full Version : Cant mount auto trans

95Blue240sx
07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I may just be a little retarded, but for the life of me I cant get this shit to mount correctly. I checked in the FSM and followed the instructions, but once I start to tighten the bolts, the crank wont move. I aligned the torque converter with the tabs in the trans and it seems to be in place, but once aligned with the block it binds.

Any ideas? FUCK AUTOS!!!

projectRDM
07-04-2007, 04:21 PM
The torque converter has two notches when it slides on to the input shaft. You've only got it to the first one. Wiggle it around and it should slide just a hair more in, like 1/4". I've done that too, it's irritating.

FRpilot
07-04-2007, 04:35 PM
taken out auto transmissions many times.. would never want to put one in though due to all the bullshit.. plus it feels heavier than a manual transmission.

95Blue240sx
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM
The torque converter has two notches when it slides on to the input shaft. You've only got it to the first one. Wiggle it around and it should slide just a hair more in, like 1/4". I've done that too, it's irritating.

do you mean ive got it in the one tab and need to get it in the other side? or do you mean theres another set of tabs behind the first two? Ill check it out when it cools down.

projectRDM
07-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I mean when you slide it in to the transmission you'll feel an indent like it's seated. It's not. There's another one further past that, just keep on sliding until you're pushing the transmission across the parking lot.

sikkk240
07-04-2007, 11:13 PM
FUCK AUTOS!!!

/msglengthisquitegay

95Blue240sx
07-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Holy shit, I played with this for another hour and its not going anywhere. When I look down the hole for the sensor on the top of the trans I can see the stubs for the flex plate bolts. Its about halfway lined up with the hole if that makes sense. Im about to start beating this bitch.

any other tips? I think I pushed this thing across america and back already

95Blue240sx
07-06-2007, 12:12 AM
something that i remembered and didnt mention. When I pulled apart the trans from the motor, the center shaft came out. So Im guessing thats why I cant get it to mount flush :(

projectRDM
07-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Bingo. Slide the shaft in all the way until it locks, then do the converter. Remember, it has two clicks before it's flush.

95Blue240sx
07-06-2007, 09:27 AM
When I looked at the FSM, I dont think its suppose to come out at all. Unless I was looking at the wrong shaft. In the FSM it showed there was a clip that goes on the end of it, which is inside the trans.

When I turn the shaft counter clockwise it comes out rather easy, when I turn it clockwise it will start moving internal parts(I can hear it)

Thanks for your help Russ

projectRDM
07-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Shaft slides right out, it's supposed to. Every one I've removed does it, and I've had to have an email battle with some fool who called me a rip because the one I sold him kept falling out.

95Blue240sx
07-06-2007, 04:11 PM
hmm i guess I'll keep trying. Thanks