PDA

View Full Version : First Question - 300zx Brakes

rocksteady_racer
06-26-2007, 06:32 PM
OK well I got a set of 300zx calipers and I rebuilt them. And I tried to put them over the stock rotors and that's where the problem happened. Well I have a set of ebc red stuff brake pads. They have these tabs on them and they push in the rotor so tight that you can't bolt them on. Anyone else used these have the same problem? What do you do just cut the tab off? And if so with what cause I couldn't break them off...? Thanks in advance.

sean350z
06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
The only metal tabs on the pads should be the wear indicator and it shouldn't be anywhere near the rotor if they are fresh pads.

Try pushing the caliper piston as far in as you can then install the caliper over the rotor. It shouldn't be tight after you do that. Hope that helps.

rocksteady_racer
06-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Yea they are brand new pads, the piston isn't tight against the pads against the rotor, I pressed them in all the way, it's the tabs that are pressing against the rotor drum for some reason? It's very odd, it won't let me fit them on over top of it, you know maybe I put the back rotor on in the front or something ridiculous like that? The bigger rotor goes on the front right? So lost LoL. Well anyway the tabs are pressing into the rotor drum enough that I can't bolt it in all the way.

kandyflip445
06-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Pics?

msglength

rocksteady_racer
06-26-2007, 08:11 PM
I'll put some up tomorrow, see if I can figure it out then

projectRDM
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
The front rotor is smaller in diameter, 11.1 vs 11.6 inches. It's wider though and axially vented, the rear rotor is solid.

cdlong
06-26-2007, 11:31 PM
i think you have the pads switched. the inboard pad should have the wear indicators, not the outboard side. i think, it's been a while since i've messed with the pads on my car.

rocksteady_racer
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
That would be a great concept except they have them on both sides LoL

cdlong
06-27-2007, 10:05 AM
mine only had them on two of the four pads.

by inboard i mean the inner pad, towards the engine. the outboard is the one under the nissan letters.

rocksteady_racer
06-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I understand what your saying but all four pads have them, damn ebc brakes LoL

cdlong
06-27-2007, 10:36 AM
odd, cut two off i guess.

rocksteady_racer
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I tried cutting them yesterday. They are ceramic so I guess your supposed to score them then snap them off or something? Well either way they are being a pain in the arse.

cdlong
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
the backing plate is ceramic? i doubt that.

did you try bolting the calipers in place without the pads? you can mount the calipers without the pads and slide the pads in through the top afterward. make sure everything fits, then verify that the pads are the problem.

ebc pads really aren't worth this much trouble, see if you can swap them out for something better, there's a lot out there that's better for the same price, but there are already threads on that topic.

rocksteady_racer
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I cut the tabs off with a dremel, they were rather thick metal, thank god for metal wheels LoL. I'm going to try to put them on as soon as my everyday driver is fixed then I'll post some pics to show you guys what I was talking about. Well stay tuned LoL and pics of my new rims on top with spacers w00t.

rocksteady_racer
06-28-2007, 09:22 PM
If any of you guys have audis I'm also working on one of them. They are way more ridiculous than the 240. Why in god's name would you attach rotors with allen wrench (hex key) bolts LoL. Crazy Germans :confused: Well anyway I replaced the back rotors and pads but one caliper mounting bracket was bent so I need a new one and before I replaced them the pad was missing so it was grinding the piston (just got it not too long ago for less than 1200$ so I'm not complaining). On top of that the other day the lug nuts snapped and the wheel came off at 50 mph ruining the front rotor and quarter panel. But other than the that I seem to be doing a good job keeping things in check. Damn Germans and they're backwards yet incredibly strong cars...

cdlong
06-29-2007, 10:31 AM
it sounds more like the previoys owner was a hack. or extremely lazy.

rocksteady_racer
07-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I finally got the 300zx brakes on. I cut the tab off with a dremel and the brakes fit right on there perfectly. I don't know why they put tabs on both sides. Well now everything is on w00t. You can see pics on projectrush.net July 8 if you guys are interested.