PDA

View Full Version : AC & Power Steering with SR

Gjohnson7
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
OK, I'm still disassembling my engine to inspect for damage, but I need to be picking up other parts as well. So here's my question. My boy has a 91 DOHC parts car that I can pick up a AC compressor and power steering pump from, but will they work with a SR redtop? My chasis was a SOHC so I'm sure I'll have to modify something.

Also, does anyone have a writeup for installing these parts on a SR? I've looked through SR20 faq thread at the top of this page, but have seen any writeups or directions.

Thanks for any help.

Gjohnson7
06-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Bump........anyone????

FRpilot
06-27-2007, 01:39 PM
sohc and dohc use have different sizes of fittings that stick out of the firewall for the unit under the dash. thus the dohc and sohc lines have different size flare nuts.

on the other side of the line where it connects to the sr a/c compressor are also different. one of them may fit, but the other wont for sure so you'll have to cut those off and weld/make the sr ones fittings. but since you are using ka compressor you only have to worry about the side going into the firewall. however.. the dohc ka compressor doesnt bolt completely onto sr. something like 3 bolts will bolt on and even then it will be slightly crooked so it will eat the a/c belt faster. you can make a bracket to fix this mounting problem, but it might be more trouble then its worth.

also, im not sure about wiring. when you turn on the a/c, extra load is put onto the engine and will drop the rpms so it might stall. the car is suppose to raise the rpm idle when you turn on the a/c so stalling doesnt happen. i read that this function in the sr a/c is controlled by the sr ecu while the ka is controlled by something else (im not sure, probably fuse box or something). i didnt get too much more into it since im running pfc on my sr.

making workin a/c is too much trouble for me. you have to deal with a/c compressor mounting issues (luckily some guy on group buy section made brackets), wiring, and cutting/welded the fittings or getting custom lines made from an a/c shop. you can do it, and its possible though.

Gjohnson7
06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
So would it be easier to use a SR20DE compressor? I just can't imagine running AC on some of these 100 + days.

qt_240
06-29-2007, 02:53 PM
i dont think the KA PS pump will work for the sr either.. but i might be wrong..

ManoNegra
06-29-2007, 03:30 PM
cutting/welded the fittings or getting custom lines made from an a/c shop. you can do it, and its possible though.

Use the SR pump and have a shop weld the SR ends to the KA lines. Recharge the system and you're done.

I've used an S14 PS pump on my S13 blacktop SR. Needed to swap out the KA pulley for the SR and something about the high pressure line - forget exaclty what. Very doable though.