PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Engine dying right after a start-up

steezy
06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi,i tried searching this already but couldnt find anything similar.

I have been driving my 240 the past 3 days fine with no problems at all. I got home today and went to go start it up for a quick drive. The enging would not start. It would start up a little bit and then die again. Similiar to a dead battery, but it isn't.

And then i tried giving it a little gas as i start it up, and it would start up but then die if i didn't keep the REV's up past about 1,500 RPM.

ANyone know what the problem is. Yes, this is a newb question. But anyways thanks for any future help

juniorjimenez
06-21-2007, 10:19 PM
any mods on the car :2f2f:

orange13donkey
06-21-2007, 10:29 PM
did you check the fuse for the fuel pump? My SR will do something similar to that and all I have to do is pop the hood and mess with the fuse, then it starts right up and runs fine.

positron
06-22-2007, 12:06 AM
I had this problem, it turned out to be the fuel pump. Do you hear it prime when you turn the key to IGN?

steezy
06-22-2007, 03:33 AM
any mods on the car :2f2f:

no there are no mods on the car besides a HKS catback

- p.s what is "prime"?

orange13donkey
06-22-2007, 05:44 AM
its like a buzzing kinda noise when you turn the key just far enough so your radio and electronics come on but dont turn the engine over. It should buzz for a few seconds then stop.

Rkesh88
06-22-2007, 06:47 AM
maf not plugged in?

driftczar
06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
i just bought mine and am having a similar problem, but then again i havent been driving it around, got it off an auction. It starts and runs bad when not giving any gas, dies ocasionally, a friend of mine said to change the spark plugs and what not adn the problem should be fixed, i think i might have the same problem as u.

steezy
06-22-2007, 12:24 PM
yeah well there isnt a radio in the car but all the warning lights on the gauge cluster turn on till i stop turning the ignition. so i guess it's priming.

And yeah the MAF is plugged in.

I tired starting it again this morning and it started up fine, but after it got warmed up, it started to die down a little, then started idling normal again.

I tried turning off the engine and starting it up again, and it wouldn't start again and was acting the same. It would just crank and crank and not start, even when i put some gas on it this time, it wouldn't start.