PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det acting strange

vboy720
06-21-2007, 06:50 PM
I just recently bought the car about a couple weeks ago, and notice the car acts a little wierd sometimes when i accelerate. When accelerating in any gear, mostly in third or fourth, as the car is climbing in RPM's the engine randomly cuts(bogs?) consecutively. It only happens when i have my foot all the way down to the floor. If im almost full throttle it doesn't happen. I also notice after getting my welded diff a couple days ago, it happens a lot while trying to accelerate in first gear doing a u turn, or sharp donut. Im trying to find the best word to describe what the car does, but hopefully u get what im trying to say. With full throttle, as the rpms rise, it like "glitches" or maybe even feels like the engine is flooding with gas or something. I do have really big back fires/fireballs when i gun it on the freeway in 4th gear.

Overall the car drives fine, does not shake, not ticking, no abnormal sounds. Still drives fast, but only notice the engine does that at full throttle. Im thinking maybe the car needs to be tuned possibly? Maybe because the engine is being flooded with too much fuel at full throttle.

A little background of the car:
S13 redtop sr
Walbro 255
Full 3in turbo back
exedy stage 2 lightened flywheel

If my explanation does not make sense, feel free to try and get a better description.

Megadang
06-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a boost leak...

Z U L8R
06-22-2007, 06:48 AM
definately sounds like an ignition problem, sounds like you're blowing out spark. it's like blowing out a candle, try a lower spark plug gap. get some ngk part # 3330's (bcpr7es) gap em down to .028. they come 0.30. should be like 8 or 9 bucks for all of em. if that doesn't fix it which i'm 90% confident it will, then try using a buddy's coil packs who doesn't have that problem so you can test if you've got one that's getting bad. good luck, keep us posted
Dave =]

Justin Bernstein
06-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Sounds like a boost leak to me. Check all intercooler connections. Are you running a boost controller? If so check the vacume connection used for the boost controller.

vboy720
06-22-2007, 01:58 PM
***Update on Problem***

Ok, so i was testing my car out last night to really find out where the problem is happening. Looks like it no longer does it going through the gears. I was testing my car, somewhere safe, and i can get to redline just fine now. But now i know that the problem happens when i turn? Like if im in first gear, and make a left hand turn, or a U-turn, and press on the gas, it does the bogging. Or sometimes when trying to slide left or right, in lower second gear, it also happens. Ill Check the gapping on my spark plugs after this. It just doesnt make since how the car bogs when i turn, but not when i just race. I dont know if it would do the same in third, or fourth gear turning since im not stupid to try somethin like that on the street. But definately happens attempting to gas it hard in first , or lower second making a turn.

Oh yea, i forgot to mention, i installed the walbro fuel pump a few days ago, and finally got to do testing on my car last night, and thats when i noticed it didnt do the bogging in a straight line anymore. So the walbro fuel pump definately helped out.

Sorry if this is a complicating problem, but i really appreciate your help. Thanks guys. Ill keep u updated after i check the spark plug gapping.

vboy720
06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a boost leak to me. Check all intercooler connections. Are you running a boost controller? If so check the vacume connection used for the boost controller.

I do not have a boost controller.

nissanguy13
06-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Ya I would say boost leak or fuel problem. If it does it only when you turn then your i/c piping or vaccum line is being moved around during a turn due to being loose or FPR or fuel pump is bad. Thats just my opinion.

vboy720
06-22-2007, 03:50 PM
i dont think the fuel pump is bad, because it was brand new, and i installed it just the other day. Also the new walbro definately helped out the problem. After the fuel pump, it doesnt bog going straight anymore. The problem only occurs during turns now.

vboy720
06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
definately sounds like an ignition problem, sounds like you're blowing out spark. it's like blowing out a candle, try a lower spark plug gap. get some ngk part # 3330's (bcpr7es) gap em down to .028. they come 0.30. should be like 8 or 9 bucks for all of em. if that doesn't fix it which i'm 90% confident it will, then try using a buddy's coil packs who doesn't have that problem so you can test if you've got one that's getting bad. good luck, keep us posted
Dave =]

I have to wait till monday, for the plugs to come in at my local kragen. When I went there today and checked for 91 sentra se-r spark plugs, they came up different than the #3330's. The guy at kragen said 3330's run hotter than the sentra ser spark plugs. Which ones do you think i should run? Typically colder plugs for a turbo motor is better right?

DJ_Sunrise
06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Thats strange.. I would still retighten all boost connections. Have you done the basic maint. on the car? Fuel filter, plugs.. etc.? I still vote for boost leak...

-Bart

vboy720
06-23-2007, 12:52 AM
im going to go over my connections and see if theres anything loose. I really dont think its a boost leak, because the car pulls really strong now, but possibly the I/c pipe could be moving around when i turn

JDMClifford
06-23-2007, 01:16 AM
could be whiring check under the pass fender or the harness by the coolent overflow tank. deff could be the fuel filter. if you havent already get a 300zxtt one.