PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

01-23-2002, 03:39 PM
I was wondering what you guys recommend for front brake pads for a MY97 240sx(pretty much stock)? I was thinking of the KVR carbon fiber pads. Anyone have these?

The car is mosly street driven with 2-3 track events. So I'm not really looking for racing pads like Hawk blues.

Thanks.

HippoSleek
01-23-2002, 04:27 PM
Those or Axxis Metal Masters seem to get rave reviews from 240 owners.

tnord
01-23-2002, 04:29 PM
EBC Green Stuff; anyone have them and have information to share?

01-23-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah I've heard good reviews on the Axxis as well.

I've never used EBC Green stuff but my friends have. They were no too pleased. Specially at the track. I believe its too hard on the stock rotors.

gh6o6
01-24-2002, 07:12 AM
generic pads at an auto parts are like $17 - get them

HippoSleek
01-24-2002, 07:36 AM
I don't know anyone w/ EBC's on a 240, but I know several racers who swear AT them (not by them).  Fade AND rotor eating!

Another I'd add to the list of contenders as I've heard rave reviews on other cars (racer's street cars) are CarboTech Kellated (sp) Metalics.  They are a small performance oriented company that give awesome service and makes some #### fine pads (I run their Panther+ pads).

gh - the only generic pad I've heard good about are Autozone(?)'s NASSCAR pads.  Bad name, but I hear great performance.  I'd go OEM if I didn't want to spend a lot and get good pads.

uuninja
01-24-2002, 07:52 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from HippoSleek on 7:36 am on Jan. 24, 2002
I don't know anyone w/ EBC's on a 240, but I know several racers who swear AT them (not by them). Fade AND rotor eating!

Another I'd add to the list of contenders as I've heard rave reviews on other cars (racer's street cars) are CarboTech Kellated (sp) Metalics. They are a small performance oriented company that give awesome service and makes some #### fine pads (I run their Panther+ pads).

gh - the only generic pad I've heard good about are Autozone(?)'s NASSCAR pads. Bad name, but I hear great performance. I'd go OEM if I didn't want to spend a lot and get good pads.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

Sure you do, I have a set of EBC's on my s14. They are ok, not great. No warping problems yet. Then again my car is a track virgin. We will see after Feb if I don't chicken out and swap them.

240 2NR
01-24-2002, 08:55 AM
I have the KVR's and like them a lot, though its hard to compare because the brakes they replaced were organic and glazed. &nbsp;

The KVR's don't seem to dust too bad and work well except when extremely cold. &nbsp;They are also quiet until I get them really hot (although my right rear will not stop squealing, but that existed before I swapped all my pads). I just like that the MORE I use them, the better they get as they warm up (I realize thats only to a point but I haven't hit that yet). &nbsp;

Anyone with ideas how to stop the rear from squealing? &nbsp;The pads have fewer than 5000 miles and were installed properly. &nbsp;I know they were seated too. &nbsp;I just can't get them to stop making noise. &nbsp;It only occurs on initial pedal travel. &nbsp;Once I feel more resitance and am on my brakes it goes away. &nbsp;This is the only brake location making any noise.

01-24-2002, 12:25 PM
240 2NR:

What kind of pads do you have for the rears? I know high performance pads squeel while cold and quiet down when they warm up. Plus the rears take longer to warm up than fronts so maybe thats why your getting noise?

240 2NR
01-24-2002, 12:42 PM
I have the KVRs front and rear.

None of my other brakes squeal. &nbsp;Only the passenger side rear. &nbsp;This occured before and after the pad and fluid change. &nbsp;

MBM
01-25-2002, 01:17 PM
If you do track days you may want to look into Carbotech Panther brake pads. &nbsp;I've had good experiences with them as a street/track pad. &nbsp;They will dust, but they are easy on rotors.

EBC pads tend to wear out too fast and the greens should not even be used on the track.

Mark