PDA

View Full Version : Just Changed My Oil Today!~~damn it was a bitch!

sijia10358
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
everything was going smoothly until i tried to take off the oil filter! Iv tried everything and nuttin worked, i even banged on the filter lol....non of those oil filter removers worked (maybe i just suck!) finally an hour and a half later the oil filter got so small i was able to remove it with the filter remover...wtf......damn i suck~!~

vw_nissan
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I am assuming you are talking about the SR oil filter?

It is a b**** to remove, last time I changed my oil, I gave up on changing the filter. But I will definitely change that next time around.

Phlip
06-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Get a long screwdriver, punch a hole in the side of the filter, the handle it creates will give you the leverage you need.

DOOK
06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
another trick is to get a cheap pair of goalie soccer gloves with the foam padding in the hands, they grip like a mofo for some reason.

sijia10358
06-10-2007, 08:49 PM
lol yes, it is a SR oil filter!! i tried the top and the bottom..everything is blocking the filter remover! next time im gonna try wat PHLIP said! lol

TheTimanator
06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
yeah, it's defiantly a pain, but have never had that much trouble with mine. I used to have a cap type thing that fit snuggly over the filter and had a hole in the center of it for a ratchet.

Eventually I want to relocate mine and put an oil cooler on it as well.

Ninjabread
06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
That's why I love my KA.

jspaeth
06-10-2007, 09:48 PM
^^+1 for the cap device....it make it so easy...it fits over the end and then you can use a ratchet....makes it take like 5 minutes to change oil...mad easy

grnappletree14
06-10-2007, 10:35 PM
try loosing it with the tool a lil bit then spray some brake cleaner on a rag and try taking it off it grabs good. i work at a econo lube n tune thats one of my tricks.

sblack13
06-10-2007, 10:38 PM
lol u should've seen my friend try and change his oil at my house. He mangled the oil filter trying to get it out, stripped his oil drain plug after spending 20 minutes trying to break the plug loose (heard of a breaker bar), and put in too much oil.

Nikeboy355
06-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Relocate that oil filter and oil changes will take you no more than 15 minutes and you won't get dirty...

!Zar!
06-11-2007, 03:53 AM
What's so tech about this thread... Is this what the thread topics have resorted to?

Put a 13b in there and you'll have no trouble.

jilo
06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
try grabbing it hard and not using the wrench to put the thing on..... its an oil filter, ive gotten the hardest ones off with just a god damn hand. its not that hard. +1 or a retarded thread. why do we need to know if its already off.

steve shadows
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Relocate that oil filter and oil changes will take you no more than 15 minutes and you won't get dirty...

yeah 15 if your drunk.

With the greddy IM, it takes me like 7 minuts round trip even with stock location. just don't overtighten the oil filter. Suction created a tighter seal after you drive it as well as heat. Make sure you lube the o-ring on the new filter with fresh oil

The Chad
06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Get a long screwdriver, punch a hole in the side of the filter, the handle it creates will give you the leverage you need.

Props for the long screwdriver method! :) Old mechanics trick haha.

misfitsfreak81
06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
remote oilfilter kit... problem solved.

90drftsx
06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
yeah, it's defiantly a pain, but have never had that much trouble with mine. I used to have a cap type thing that fit snuggly over the filter and had a hole in the center of it for a ratchet.

Eventually I want to relocate mine and put an oil cooler on it as well.

yup i think that works best for removing the sr oil filter.

kensreliableb18b
06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Props for the long screwdriver method! :) Old mechanics trick haha.

method wont work if that filters on their tight like a sewn up virgin. besides, where the filter is located on the sr, there is minimal space.

easiest remover is something like this one:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/418HmQJmEFL._AA280_.jpg

bluepoint/snapon if u want. or go to pepboys for a similar unit.

oooorrrrr yeaaaa u can relocate if u want.

!Zar!
06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Or you can go to jiffylube. lolz.

15 minute oil change if you're drunk? Maybe if you pass out.

95240s14
06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I had that problem on my rb......I bought one of those oil filter wrenches, you know, the black plastic kind that caps over the filter and takes 1/2'' socket. Then i filled it with Gorilla Glue, stuck it on there, let it dry for almost a week (my cars not a daily driver) and it came right off. without the glue, the damn thing would just turn a little then slide off. Sounds ghetto, but i refuse to let anybody but me to change my oil.

ManoNegra
06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
method wont work if that filters on their tight like a sewn up virgin. besides, where the filter is located on the sr, there is minimal space.

oooorrrrr yeaaaa u can relocate if u want.

I got a Craftman one like that. Cake. Or go K&N.

projectdrifter
06-11-2007, 03:32 PM

i second that for 115bux from project nissan u can have a greedy relocation kit. very simple and saves a ton of head ache.:sadwavey:

steve shadows
06-11-2007, 05:36 PM
i second that for 115bux from project nissan u can have a greedy relocation kit. very simple and saves a ton of head ache.:sadwavey:

or you could clean up your engine bay and not overtighten your oil filter for free.

naw remote is cool i agree though

just remove that Intake Plenum to block brace on the stock sr to aid ease of changing the filter.

kouki_s14
06-11-2007, 05:43 PM

thats the way to do it
i always have to do that when my sisters take their car somewhere else for an oil change, then bring it to me for the next one. :squint:

SimpleS14
06-11-2007, 05:49 PM

This is the first time seeing such a unit and I'm definitely going to get one. Even though I have a KA, its still a PITA removing the oil filter due to build up of sand and oil around the seal.

floodo1
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
2 votes for dont tighten it so much....thats your prob.
1 vote for go K&N if you cant control yourself when tightening. plus in theory its a better filter

koukimonster139
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
all i read was the first post anddddddd

get a fucking oil filter relocation kit

makes it so much easier to remove oil filter and it actually encourages you to change your oil on time because you can see the filter ahjhaha

DJ_Sunrise
06-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Yea.. sometimes it can be a PITA. Usually the problem results from it being overtightened/dirty. I always brake clean the filter, let it dry while I dump the old oil, clean my hands and try. The filter really doesnt have to be on there that tight.. Like Steve said..the O-F has an o-ring+suction+heat to help it stay on. If I can not get it to come off, I use a latex glove or jar lid remover. If that fails I pull out the plastic cap and swivel head mini breaker. I have 4-5 different caps for various oil filters.. They always work and no clearance issues with the S14 SR. I stopped using the caps since they are tucked behind a rediculous amount of garage shit that I don't feel like moving :hammer: :doh: :madfawk:

-Bart

Sir
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Summit has relo kit for like 45bux.
add couple more if you want the cool AN lines
Ford filter PH8A (iirc) for bigger capacity and easier to grip.

Tomei oil block > screw on type tho.

TEALSQUEAL
06-12-2007, 12:58 PM
you change to the greddy intake +1 for power and easy access to filter ;-)

sijia10358
06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
i have the greddy trust yellow intake lol...i think i need to relocate my oil filter! lol