Milage: 147k
Problems:  Cracked block

Car two:

Price: 500$ at purchase
Year: 1989
Engine: KA24E
Tran: 5 Speed
Milage: 128k
Problem: Overheating, possible head job.  Shattered rear window.

My thoughts:

I am not to educated on both engines and I have a few questions.

1) Can the heads (brand new) from the KA24DE be swapped into the KA24E?

2) Are any engine parts swappable from one car to the other?

3) See Wanted/Selling section

4) The tran comes with the SR, is it a project to swap and auto KA24DE with a Manual if you are doing the SR swap at the same time?

I would really like to use the KA24E as my car, reason being that a Manual swap is really a pain in the ass and costly from my financial situation.  I need this engine to RUN, not perfectly, but to RUN.  I would like to do this with the loss of as little $$bling$$ as possible cause I wish to save for the SR swap as soon as possible.

Senario 1:  Purchase both cars, use parts from KA24DE to the KA24E (if possible) and use the rear window as well.  Then swap in the SR when enough money is gained.

Senario 2:  Take car number one and replace the block with a used one.  When time comes for the engine swap, switch the tranny since the tranny on a usual basis comes with the engine.

Help me please this is my last chance to own a 180 anytime soon.

Rob

DuffMan
08-18-2002, 02:29 PM
Pretty sure you cannot swap heads, and that the bolts don't line up.

If you are doing a SR swap into an automatic, you need a few things, like m/c and a different driveshaft. I believe there is something in the FAQ section about auto to manual coversions.

Silviaholic
08-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the help... hoping more people to add in.

Is the manual conversion commonly done to auto's when the SR is swapped?

dr2if4ta0sx
08-19-2002, 03:42 AM
Actually you can swap the engines.. and most of the parts are interchangable between the 89-90' 240sx and the 91-94' 240sx and it should be a direct bolt on. This site has some info on that swap http://www.unstable-hybrids.com/SOHC2DOHC.html

And are you planing to sell one or are you buying?

If you are selling, what color are the cars, where you located? im interested in some parts... let me know

Silviaholic
08-19-2002, 04:45 AM
I plan to buy both possibly. But whatever is left is for sale. I will let you know what is up AFTER all of this is worked out.

Edit:  What about the block?  Doubt it but will the E bolt to the DE?

240 2NR
08-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Are the blocks different?  I *assumed* the block, crank, rods, bore and stroke to be the same, with the pistons and head being the major differences (plus ecu, speedo, manifolds, plumbing wiring, accessoires etc.).  Cause if you could drop the DE head on the E block you'd have an 11:1 compression (unless it was the early engine with 9.1:1 pistons) and then you could swap in the ecu, and other DOHC specific parts, plus trade rear windows and maybe have a super low buck project car.  That would be cool.  A frankensteined nissan.

sykikchimp
08-19-2002, 01:37 PM
the blocks are different.  I know for a fact the head bolts don't line up, but I think they have different water channels too.  the rods, and pistons from the DE and E are different too.  if memory serves me right, the DE had dished pistons, and the E has flat tops, which would most definately make for a higher compression engine.  unfortunately, the heads are not swappable.

240 2NR
08-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Like I said, it was an assumption I always made.  Considering the blocks are both KA24's it wasn't out of the realm of possibilty for them to be the same casting.  I never did look into it as I never had the need, but had though about the head swap.  the 8.x:1 pistons in the SOHC are supposed to yield ~11:1 in a DOHC engine.  Oh well, so much for honda logic.

Silviaholic
08-19-2002, 03:12 PM
thoughts?  Opinions on the situation?  Please save my 240life