PDA

View Full Version : Quick Clear Coat Question

sleepinsilvia23
06-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I am just gettin finishing painting my front bumper and front lip gloss black. I have a quick question about clear coating, i have read a few threads about painting yourself but its not very clear on clear coating.

Do you guys recommend wetsanding before i spray clear coat and in between coats of clear? And how many coats of clear do you recommend?

Thanks,
Jordan

koukimonster139
06-09-2007, 11:36 AM
NO
for fucks sake no sanding between color coats and clear coats

sanding stops as soon as you apply base color

and also, if you are painting with a "gloss" black you wouldnt spray a clear coat over that.

what base did you use? is this fucking rattle can?

Sexy_Ninja
06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
wow, dont flame too hard now.

LongGrain
06-09-2007, 12:09 PM
you can wetsand basecoat and clearcoat. just use REALLY high grit paper. like 1500, 2000 etc. i know people that even finish off sanding with a wet paper bag.

sleepinsilvia23
06-09-2007, 12:16 PM
No i dont know where to buy these so called fucking rattle cans, but i am using something called a rattle can.. as many people have done before.
So basically what your telling me is you dont wetsand color at all? thats a very interesting opinion and i appreciate that. but i was asking about before spraying clear.

So anyway i have been using really high grit sandpaper on the color and will make my question a little more specific.. do you recommend me using 2000 grit sandpaper to wetsand the color before the clear?

Thanks again

WilloW
06-09-2007, 12:26 PM
So basically what your telling me is you dont wetsand color at all? thats a very interesting opinion and i appreciate that. but i was asking about before spraying clear.

Thanks again

I think he was talking about spraying it "wet-on-wet". What I did was spray the base coat, wait a few minutes and then spray the clear.

20 til 3
06-09-2007, 12:31 PM
you can wetsand basecoat and clearcoat. just use REALLY high grit paper. like 1500, 2000 etc. i know people that even finish off sanding with a wet paper bag.

uh no you can't. YOU NEVER EVER........ EVER wetsand baseboat with whatever grit or even touch it with computer paper. Once you apply base coat, leave it be then according to whomever makes your paint (for example: NEXA colors require the clear be applied after dry time and within 24 hours). What I recommend you do is take a cheese cloth once the base is completely dry and do a careful wipe over it to pick up specks of paint which have dried before it touched the bumper. When you are applying your clear you'll notice a cleaner reflection as there'll be far less dimples in your clear.

But other then that, YOU NEVER TOUCH THE BASE COAT UNLESS YOU PLAN ON BLENDING A NEW LAYER OF COLOR WITH IT.

LongGrain
06-09-2007, 12:33 PM
No i dont know where to buy these so called fucking rattle cans, but i am using something called a rattle can.. as many people have done before.

So anyway i have been using really high grit sandpaper on the color and will make my question a little more specific.. do you recommend me using 2000 grit sandpaper to wetsand the color before the clear?

Thanks again

yes, you can sand the color with 2000 before clearcoating, it will make it feel smoother, which will also help it shine better. some people recommend spraying clear when your basecoat is still wet, and that works well, but only if you already have a really smooth spray job, which is difficult with a rattle can.

shinhed
06-09-2007, 01:06 PM
sleepinsilvia23"

With rattle paint gloss you can wetsand, but keep it around 600-800 grit because, anything more and your're basically polishing it. With real automotive base coats, (which are typically flat) you can wetsand but, usually only for flaws and, then you spray some more base colour over the areas, or you can wetsand the whole thing and apply another coat, the choice is of your own and should be determined by how smooth your paint is and how many flaws need to be removed. Just make sure you apply more basecoat over any sanded areas.

Just curious, what brand paint are you using.

babowc
06-09-2007, 02:10 PM
rattle can?
why are you so fkin obsessed over making it look good?

just spray it and shit leave it be.

if you were actually spray base-clear, be worried about it looking good.
rattle can, 50$ paint job, roller job, whatever is not going to look good no matter what.