PDA

View Full Version : alternator charging too much. can it blow fuses?

ROTTEN EGG
06-02-2007, 02:58 AM
having a few electrical problems soon after changing the alternator. checked it and the alternator seems to be overcharging. battery is completely full. will it be enough to blow a fuse?

problems since changing the alternator.
brake light fuse (15a) blows everytime i brake. couldnt find a short.
shifter release relay burnt out
horn relay heats up.
and tranny wont shift past 2nd. Maybe the TCU or totally unrelated.

will loosen up the tension on the belt tomorrow and see if it helps. let me know what you guys think.

ssublime1
06-02-2007, 03:11 AM
The voltage regulator is probably bad or going bad. Has any oil gotten in the alternator? Replacing it is going to be the easiest fix. It will fuck your shit up if you leave it like that.

ROTTEN EGG
06-02-2007, 06:27 AM
alternator and battery are brand new. Can the problem be with the wiring? I rewired the positive from the alternator straight to the battery.

g6civcx
06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Can the problem be with the wiring? I rewired the positive from the alternator straight to the battery.

Maybe.

Just because a part is new doesn't mean it's good, especially the battery. Chances are the battery has been sitting on a shelf for months.

You need to test them.

gotta240
06-02-2007, 08:24 AM
go buy a 5 dollar voltage tester.

G-spec
06-02-2007, 09:22 AM
I argree with the other poster on the voltage regulator being toast (if it is in fact putting out 15+ volts) however the increased voltage by itself wont blow fuses. Fuses blow due to excess amperage being pulled across the fuse. I'd check for a loose ground on your taillight harness. Relays heating up would be right in line with an overcharging battery, and power spikes going into the ecu could easily burn it up. I recommend not driving it any more untill your able to check the actual voltage at the battery while idling, and with a couple quick revs.

chmercer
06-02-2007, 11:00 AM
when my alternator was going bad it would make like 18 volts if you revved the motor too much. all my lights and safc display and shit would get really bright. never blew anything up but i only drove it like that for 2 days

ROTTEN EGG
06-02-2007, 02:32 PM
ill put them on the machine at work and see what it says. thanks for the info.