PDA

View Full Version : check engine light from a 4.36 ring gear? need to smog car =/

240meowth
06-01-2007, 11:31 PM
so i need to smog my 5 speed 93 w/ ka24de here in cali, i have a check engine light cod 14 (vehicle speed sensor). And i can't figure out what's going on.

i heard it shouldn't trigger the check engine light, so who knows...

i've heard there's a possibility i can get a speed sensor that's at this ring gear's ratio or get a new gear for the vss, someone clue me in?

Jpooks_S13
06-02-2007, 12:49 AM
itll turn itself off in a week ;)...jk idk my check engine light decides to pop on and off every now nad hten i think just to see if im paying attention

sijia10358
06-02-2007, 01:55 AM
take ur car to the dealer and they'll tell you wats wrong with it. then take ur car to a cheap shop to fix it lol!

g6civcx
06-02-2007, 08:24 AM
someone clue me in?

There is no correlation between the ring gear and the VSS, provided you installed the ring gear correctly. The VSS measures gearbox output shaft speed. The ring gear is well aft of the propeller shaft.

Your speedo will be off, but your ECU won't know it.

Chances are you damaged the wiring or sensor somehow, or the two are just not related at all.

projectRDM
06-02-2007, 10:16 AM
^ Correct. The VSS has no way of knowing you've changed the pinion, nor would it care.

240meowth
06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
There is no correlation between the ring gear and the VSS, provided you installed the ring gear correctly. The VSS measures gearbox output shaft speed. The ring gear is well aft of the propeller shaft.

Your speedo will be off, but your ECU won't know it.

Chances are you damaged the wiring or sensor somehow, or the two are just not related at all.

so should i replace the sensor or what? it's $210 from the dealer...

johngriff
06-04-2007, 06:12 PM
If the speedo is all good, it is probably the signal between the cluster and the ecu has been damaged.

Test! For Continuity.

dopeassjackson
06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
you probaly have ABS and it senses the diff speed vs the frotn wheel speed and the vehicle speed. your cars ABS is probaly not going to work 100%.

projectRDM
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
you probaly have ABS and it senses the diff speed vs the frotn wheel speed and the vehicle speed. your cars ABS is probaly not going to work 100%.

Incorrect, try again.

240meowth
06-05-2007, 12:46 AM
If the speedo is all good, it is probably the signal between the cluster and the ecu has been damaged.

Test! For Continuity.
how would i take on such feat? can you tell me which wires to test behind the ecu?

g6civcx
06-05-2007, 06:18 AM

You would like to think that; however, the ABS ECU is not that sophisticated. It only measures speed to prevent lockup. It does not correlate vehicle speed to wheel speed, at least not in the S13.

Plus the speed between the gearbox output shaft and the front wheels will most likely be different under braking.

The VSS is mounted in the gearbox and measures gearbox output speed for displaying and speed control purposes. The ABS rear wheel speed sensor is a separate unit that goes in the rear diff area. Check the FSM for details.