PDA

View Full Version : 95' S14 Wont Crank

kcndizzle
05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my car to crank. It's a 95 obdII S14, I bought it with a blown motor, swapped a new one in, and when attempting to start it for the first time, nothing happened. The car came with one of those little key security systems, where if the key isn't plugged in the car won't crank. Thinking that that took a crap on me, I ripped into the wiring under the dash, and hotwired what I believe to be the starter wire (black with yellow stripe) together bypassing the key, and still nothing. Having an extra starter, I swapped it in, and i know the starter is getting a power, as I made the mistake of trying to pull it of with the batt still connected and got a nice little shock with the starter hanging off the car. When I turn the key the fuel pump primes, and the relays in the engine bay click, but there's no cranking going on. And the clicking in the engine bay is not the starter, and when hotwiring the black wire with yellow stripe, there was an extra ground that was used for the security system that accidentally touched the black w/yellow stripes and blew my ignition fuse in the engine bay (which has been replaced) Sorry for the ginormous paragraph, but I figure the more info you have the better you can help me diagnose.
Thanks in advance

kognition
05-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Maybe the security system was fried when you shorted it. Maybe consider getting the ecu diagnosed at the dealer. You know, back in my Honda days, the ecu would blink an integrated LED consecutively and that would tell you what the issue was. But you should rule out the ecu first. :x:

projectRDM
05-31-2007, 11:42 AM
First off, know your car. 1995 = OBD-I.

Check all fuses, inside and out, before going any further. You've blown something.

kcndizzle
05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
It's got a second O2 sensor, I assumed that meant obdII forgive me if I was wrong. The security system was really simple, just a box with both sides of the black/yellow wire going into it and an external ground, essentially a circuit breaker, so I don't think it has anything to do with the electrical system anymore as iv'e bypassed it. Any of the fuses that would have had something to do with seem to be intact, and the ecu is reading a code 55, so all "seems to be alright". I'm at work right now, so i'm just getting some feedback and ideas so when I get off i can keep troubleshooting.
Thanks for the feedback thus far guys.

kcndizzle
06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Update: I can get the motor to crank by hotwiring the plug below the fuseblock to the positive terminal on the battery, but as far as getting it to crank by turning the key I'm baffled, I've traced the wiring, checked every fuse in the car. I can feel the all the relays under the dash click once when the key is in running position, and once again when I turn the key all the way as if I was starting it... It's an auto if that helps.
Thanks Guys

projectRDM
06-01-2007, 06:31 PM
What plug below the fusebox? Size, shape, color/number of wires?

Luvs2slide
06-01-2007, 06:45 PM
My friends car is having the same problem, except he hot wired his starter to start his car with a switch. I have heard, but don't quote me on this, that the ignition switch combination thing does and commonly go bad with S13/S14's. Theres 4 pins that are common to the combo switch. Basically you need to find the one that controls the start circuit and go from there. Maybe try replacing the whole combo switch. Its the thing that you key goes into and has the turn signal switch on it. What did you tap into at the fuse box?

kcndizzle
06-01-2007, 09:15 PM
R240NA:It's the plug that runs to the starter solenoid, its two wires, grey, below the fuse box in the engine bay, the solenoid wire is black w/ a yellow stripe, and the other wire is yellow with a blue or green stripe, i believe for the oil pressure sensor. all i was really doing was hotwiring the starter to make sure it runs by pulling the plug and touching the prong corresponding to the starter solenoid wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
Luvs2slide: I appreciate the input, and I'll check into that. So basically what you're saying is that my ignition switch might have gone bad? I considered that option, and will check with a voltmeter on the output of the key as I turn the ignition to see if maybe that circuit has gone bad.
Thanks for all the help guys, please, keep it coming.

beetleman
09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Kcndizzle, Were you finally able to fix your 1995 S14, because I am having the exact same problem. Any help would be great.

Thanks

kcndizzle
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Yes, I did fix it, but my problem was a bit unique to my situation. I bought the car essentially as a shell, and dropped the motor in with the auto tranny attached. I neglected to take the shift linkage off when dropping it in, and ended up bending the linkage. Since the linkage was bent, the shift sensor thing didn't register that it was in park, not allowing it to start. To temporarily fix the problem I jumpered the two wires coming out of the top grey plug by the fuse box together to bypass the sensor temporarily. After that the car started like a champ.

beetleman
09-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I have a 5 speed car, but it is doing the exact same thing that yours was doing. I just bought the car and replaced the engine(KA24DE), but it was doing this before taking the old engine out.

aznpoopy
09-04-2007, 10:55 PM
I have a 5 speed car, but it is doing the exact same thing that yours was doing. I just bought the car and replaced the engine(KA24DE), but it was doing this before taking the old engine out.

check the clutch safety switch

kuruptR
09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
fuk having the same problem, starter works, but the key does nothing.
I can start it by directly connecting the ground to the starter power wire on the starter.

For some reason I think it might be my alarm system as it just happend out of the blue! I dont know where to start looking at the starter doesnt have a fuse..... what do I do???? ugh.

When I click to start it, fuel pump goes, I hear a relay go click, power to the accessories turn off as usual... but no starter noises what so ever.

BoostinGST
09-26-2007, 12:20 AM
im having the same problem... im over a year into this swap and im to the point i really barely have any motivation to get it done... its just one problem after another... i've never driven the car, replaced what seems like every wire in the car and it still isnt running... so far i've replaced the body harness inside & outside of the car(from r240na), tranny harness(new from nissan), the ignition switch(new), and the clutch switch(new)... if anyone has any other ideas on what to check has power to find out where the hell my problem is it would be greatly appreciated.

im attaching some pictures for you guys to reference what wire your talking about

BoostinGST
09-26-2007, 02:33 AM
well i started reading the wiring diagram on the FSM and it makes things pretty straight foward. it seems another thing to check is the theft system fuse... its a 7.5amp fuse in location 25 i think. if this is the problem i have i will be pissed... just something else for you guys to check... i think im going to make a list of things to check if your car wont start and post a faq with how much shit i've changed i guess i have some experience... i've attached the page i was using, if you mods have any problem with this remove it please.