PDA

View Full Version : how to take off speed sensor?

TOMKAIRA93
05-27-2007, 10:36 PM
did a search and found nothing. I just want to know if there are any special tricks in taking the speed sensor out of the tranny. I tried pulling it off, but no luck. I tried prying it off and no luck either.

suggestions?

johngriff
05-27-2007, 10:42 PM
tap it with a flat head and a hammer, to get it to "clock". Tap on the "bolt down" tab on the sensor.

BE CAREFUL. You might break it. did you remove the 10mm bolt btw? Are you prepared for an onslaught of gear oil.

1 bolt, to rule them all.

ctm_motortrends
05-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Did you take out the 10mm bolt that holds it in ? If you did a little bit of wd-40. Make sure you have a drip pan under it.

TOMKAIRA93
05-28-2007, 12:20 AM
i did take the bolt off. I think I might just leave it alone and just use my jdm cluster Km/hr. thanks for the tips though.

johngriff
05-28-2007, 12:26 AM
LOL.

Speed sensors are the same, no reason to swap.

zackt69
05-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Remove the bolt, give it a little tap, twist and pull... comes right out.

projectRDM
05-28-2007, 09:17 AM
LOL.

Bingo, unless it's auto -> manual.

TOMKAIRA93
05-28-2007, 09:35 AM
LOL.

not according to tech discussions on line. My tranny is from a silvia, so I would need the KA speed sensor if I want the KA cluster to work (mph reading), otherwise I would need my silvia cluster, which am not minding at all right now.

g6civcx
05-28-2007, 10:12 AM
not according to tech discussions on line. My tranny is from a silvia, so I would need the KA speed sensor if I want the KA cluster to work (mph reading), otherwise I would need my silvia cluster, which am not minding at all right now.

Please post a link to these "online discussions".

Russ, aka. R240NA, IS the source of most S-chassis knowledge. The things he is not the source for include how to drift into a tree, how to spraypaint your dashboard, etc. You have everybody else for that stuff.

johngriff
05-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I heard russ speaking to the "all manual speed sensors are the same", and sure enough, BLAM they are the same, and very basic in design. There is no hidden KPH/Drift Genie inside the jdm ones, they both output 760ppm so there is no difference.

NemeGuero
05-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, that shit has to do with the cluster you're using. If you want the JDM cluster to read in MPH, there is some resistor you need to solder on the back.

projectRDM
05-28-2007, 02:27 PM

I can discuss online about how raw meat can make you grow a larger penis, doesn't mean it's true.

The only difference between VSSs is S13 and S14, and auto and manual. Proven experts have documented this for years.

g6civcx
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
I can discuss online about how raw meat can make you grow a larger penis, doesn't mean it's true.

The only difference between VSSs is S13 and S14, and auto and manual. Proven experts have documented this for years.

Raw meat does make my penis larger.

Physically, the auto vs. manual VSS are different due to mounting requirements in the gearbox.

Operatively, they generate the same signal. Consult the FSM for pulses per minute at 60 mph, or read the speedo gauge. It's written on there.

The speedo interprets the pulses and causes the needle to move up a certain distance based upon the pulse signal.

In fact, if you think about it, there is really no difference between an mph and a kph speedo other than the tick marks. The car is moving at a certain speed given a certain pulse signal. All the speedo does is rehashes the tick marks to display the unit you want.

Also, most mph speedos also have kph markings in smaller fonts. Not all kph speedos have mph displays.

The answer is you can just plug any S13 VSS into any S13 speedo and it will show the correct speed. I can personally confirm this because I have an S13 SR VSS plugged into a KAE and KADE speedo. All combos work correctly.

I'm still waiting on links to those online discussions.

drift freaq
05-28-2007, 05:03 PM
The only thing that causes a good speed sensor to read high or low is different rear end gears and or different tire sizes. At which point you need to get the VSS for those gears.

johngriff
05-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Did they change the number of pickups in these VSS's? Or did they change the gear on the end?

projectRDM
05-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Did they change the number of pickups in these VSS's? Or did they change the gear on the end?

Motorsports used to sell pinion gears for the VSS, but they're NLA now. The OE gear is a 20 tooth, they used to sell 17, 18, 19, and 21 tooth also for speedometer calibration.