PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a SR20DET Type-X Swap before?

yusuke1923
05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Has anyone here done a SR20DET Type-X Swap before, in a S13/240sx Hatch?
If so, how did it go? I am having problems on my Type-X Swap..
Whats different in the installation?

Is the installation the same as the Red Tops and the regular Black Tops?
The engine was installed that way... but it has start up issues...

Thanks! Hope to hear from everyone!

:aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw: :aw:

whiting
05-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I didn't know there was a difference in the Type-X SR20DET, It should be the same as the Type-R SR20DET, I thought the only differnece between these two 180's were trim. The Type-R coming with minimul body panels and hub caps, and the TYPE-X coming with the extra aero and Wheels and possibly suspension. I have a dealer pamphlet for the 180sx 1997 I think and I don't think it points out any motor difference(but then again I don't read Japanese)

statik
05-25-2007, 09:34 AM
there should be no difference as far as wiring it up for an S13

yusuke1923
05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Interesting... Hmmm have you guys done or seen someone who has a Type-X? I love to hear how it was installed because the only problem im having is the start-up... starting up when the motor is cold is fine... but when its hot... somehow when I try to start it, it gets flooded with fuel...
What do you guys think?

Sileighty_85
05-25-2007, 09:38 AM
coolant temp sensor for the ECU

yusuke1923
05-25-2007, 10:16 AM
coolant temp sensor for the ECU

Sorry bro, not much of a mechanic pro here... What do you mean by that?
I have a bad coolant temp sensor and need replacing??

Not sure... this is interesting... explain more please heheh I'm still learning! :fart:

DOOK
05-25-2007, 10:29 AM
install shouldn't be any different from any other SR20DET in an S13 chassis as long as you have the correct SR-S13 wiring harness. I agree with the coolant temp sensor. you have a code reader?

i need tires
05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
type x was just an luxury feature in the 180sx's... no difference in motor...same wiring as any other blactop s13sr

the coolant temp sensor for the ECU is a red connector right under the FPR it might need to be replace... not the clip itself but what it connects to which is screwed into the head. good luck

yusuke1923
05-25-2007, 10:45 AM
This gets very annoying...

Has anyone ever had this problem?

I'm pretty stump... So if anyone out there can help, would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Not the Coolant Temp Sensor... *sigh
Thats been changed...

nassin31spr
05-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Some of the wiring is not the same colors as other sr's. Not that much different and easy to figure out though. Is your car drivable, how dose it run. You just said you have problems on start up. Please be much more specific. The more details you give the better someone can help you diagnose the situation.

rican_nick
05-25-2007, 06:41 PM
i have a type x blacktop. As nassin31spr said.. some of the wires are different colors, couple of the pins on the ECU are different from other Early blacktops and redtops. however i've have never experienced the problem your describing.. My sr has been in 2 s13's and now my s14.

from the description given i am not sure what exaclty is happening or not happening.

What ECU do you have in the car?

jrmiller84
05-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Are you guys sure? From what I understand the engine I got was a type x and I didn't have any problems at all with my wiring.

Other than that, the swap is exactly the same.

yusuke1923
05-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I got the Type-X Ecu... from what I was told..
EDITED: I actually found out I have a RED TOP ECU

Here is my problem...
(I have to OPEN THROTTLE (press the gas pedal all the way) before I turn the key, or else it won't start. It will just flood the motor with gas.)

In the morning I start the car and its fine.
When I turn it off... and then try to start it again, it won't start.
I have to wait for about an hour before I can start it again or I can unplug the cam sensor and crank the car *OPEN THROTTLE to let air in and push the gas down. Then plug the cam sensor back in. Then I can just start the car by *OPEN THROTTLE... and turning the key.

rican_nick
05-26-2007, 08:51 AM
what sticker do you have on your ecu?? I doubt this is your problem as when i had the wrong ecu on my blacktop it wouldnt even power up.

have u tested the injectors?? there a couple of threads on here and other 240 forums that give you the proper steps on testing your injectors.. make sure they aren't getting a constant ground with key to On position (IIRC) leaving them stuck open.. which would definitely flood your engine.

nassin31spr
05-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Type x ecu has J4 on it. Anything other than that and you probobly have something else.

Highboost180SX
05-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Type X wiring is different from redtops and early model blacktops. Seeing that your car is starting with the J4 ECU you must have a type X harness. Make sure you got the correct coolant temp sensor, and that you changed the one for the ECU and not the gauge cluster. Also check the wiring for the temp sensor, these are know to "rot" and not allow the sensor to work properly. I can almost promise you that your problem is in this area, maybe clean out your AICV as well. This can also cause the problem you have been describing. Good luck

420sx
05-26-2007, 10:14 AM
i got type x motor in my s14, and wiring was a pain, i had to shorten my harness recently and theres a lot of shit on there you dont nneed.

other than that its just like any blacktop.

TEALSQUEAL
05-26-2007, 05:14 PM
there are 2 different type x ecu's a E5 is the earlier years and a J4 is off of later years, i have wired them before personally the mapping on an E5 is better IMO. now i have an autronic now so it is a harness i made myself.

sounds to me like u have a sensor with heatsoak or simply not working at all ...

yusuke1923
05-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Wow! I cannot belive all this hassle for a type X! Hahaha.
What do you guys think of just using a Blacktop ECU? Rather than the Type X ECU?

nassin31spr
05-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Just use what ever ecu goes with your harness and there should be no problems. If you want to switch to a different year ecu you should probably switch harness'.

blitz180
05-27-2007, 02:13 PM
If the problem was a wrong ecu, then it would not start at all. The pinouts for the coilpacks on the j4 is nothing like the pinouts on the e5. Coilpacks 2-4 are completely different. I don't think that's his problem.

Here's some advice:
Get the Factory Service Manual on the internet for an S14 with SR from the internet (google it, that's how I found it) The S14 Factory Service Manual is the only SR20DET Manual in english, but mechanically almost everything is the same minus the veriable valve timing that's in the s14 SR.

Follow the instructions to read your error codes from the ecu, my guess is that it's in a sensor somewhere.

Follow the instructions to check for stuck injectors, etc also, just in case. Although if it runs fine when it's cold I doubt that will be a problem. If you have any other questions, ask. I feel your pain, I had problems with my SR when I installed it, too, but it usually not as bad as your think it is. ;)

yusuke1923
05-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Just use what ever ecu goes with your harness and there should be no problems. If you want to switch to a different year ecu you should probably switch harness'.

Would you think it will help if I go on ahead and get non Type X Blacktop ECU and Harness and use the Type X Motor? Should act like any other Blacktops that are none Type X right? :faint:

nassin31spr
05-27-2007, 08:13 PM
If you have a j4 ecu and harness just use it. Unless you think there is something not right about it. Im not sure what would cause it to flood out other than the ecu, wiring or injectors. Bump cause Im sure someone else has had this problem.

Heres the j4/j5 pin out and some other useful info. I hope this helps a little bit.
http://skylineking.com/info.html

yusuke1923
05-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I'll definitely check that site out. As soon as I get home I will take pix of my ECU and show it to you guys... I'm not much a mechanic maniac... so maybe me showing pix would get me closer to the problem... All of you that are contributing are helping me out a lot btw! Because I just want this problem solve and I know it takes time... So btw.. were do I look at to see J4? J5?
J4 is 1997 Type X right? And J5 is 1998 Type X?

nassin31spr
05-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Its right on top of the ecu. It will say it in big letters. J4 or E5. If you have an S chassis this was just inevitable that your going to learn things you never really wanted to. Good luck with it and post up some pics and a diagnosis of the situation. If I can help I will.

J4 is 96-98 standard or 5-speed and J5 is automatic transmission 96-98

xpicer
05-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Its right on top of the ecu. It will say it in big letters. J4 or E5. If you have an S chassis this was just inevitable that your going to learn things you never really wanted to. Good luck with it and post up some pics and a diagnosis of the situation. If I can help I will.

J4 is 96-98 standard or 5-speed and J5 is automatic transmission 96-98

i have almost the same problem but this is with my s13. My harness was a non j4 and i followed the guide and converted it but now i have the problem that im runing wayyy too rich please someone help i was thinking that maybe i forgot to plug something because i think i saw a small square elecronic piece that came with my swap kit but never used it

nassin31spr
05-30-2007, 05:12 AM
I have never done the conversion before. But is your motor pretty much stock or have you done some upgrades on it. Where did you get the conversion kit from. You should definitely call them and ask them what the piece is for.

the head
05-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Have you cleaned the IACV? and are you sure you replaced the proper coolant tem sensor (there are two of them)?

yusuke1923
05-30-2007, 09:52 AM
So check dis out... I was about to go take a pix of my ECU... and I didn't see any J4/E5 on it... I saw a BIG REG NUMBER the said 62... and written in marker... TURBO RED TOP... OMG! WTF!?!? Is this my problem? Running a RED TOP ECU? on a TYPE X Motor? posting pix in 10mins...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/yusuke1923/166974050_552361814_0.jpg?t=1180562852
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/yusuke1923/166973446_552359680_0.jpg?t=1180562899
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/yusuke1923/166973313_552359185_0.jpg?t=1180562916

Pix!

Type X Motor with Red Top ECU... does that make any sense? Will that even be reliable?
What would be best option here?
Get the Type X Harness and ECU? Get a Blacktop (non type x) Harness and ECU?

rican_nick
05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
So check dis out... I was about to go take a pix of my ECU... and I didn't see any J4/E5 on it... I saw a BIG REG NUMBER the said 62... and written in marker... TURBO RED TOP... OMG! WTF!?!? Is this my problem? Running a RED TOP ECU? on a TYPE X Motor? posting pix in 10mins...

http://www.vzwpix.com/mi/166974050_552361814_0.jpeg?limitsize=640,640&outquality=56&ext=.jpg&border=1,0,0,0
http://www.vzwpix.com/mi/166973446_552359680_0.jpeg?limitsize=640,640&outquality=56&ext=.jpg&border=1,0,0,0
http://www.vzwpix.com/mi/166973313_552359185_0.jpeg?limitsize=640,640&outquality=56&ext=.jpg&border=1,0,0,0

Pix!

Type X Motor with Red Top ECU... does that make any sense? Will that even be reliable?
What would be best option here?
Get the Type X Harness and ECU? Get a Blacktop (non type x) Harness and ECU?

pics dont work, but if ur running a 62 ecu with a type x harness that has not been repinned properly then yes expect some issues.

yusuke1923
05-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Lame!! So would u suggest just using a regular blk top ecu? or typ-x ecu? Just want to kno the best option...
Updated the link on the PIX! Thanks!

rican_nick
05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
how certain are you that the harness/motor are from a type x and not just a black top s13 sr??

if that motor/wiring was mated to a e5 blacktop ecu.. the 62 should run it fine

If the motor/wiring are definitely type x (J4).. then (at least in my case) the 62 ecu would not power up. Which would lead me to believe that

1. its not a j4 motor/harness and originally had a e5 ecu. If this is the case then it should be working and you have elsewhere to troubleshoot

or

2. The type x harness had been repinned to run on an e5/62 and possibly not repinned properly? or pinned properly and you still have some other kind of issue.

hard to say since we know you obviously have a mix and match ecu/harness at this point.

Automato
05-30-2007, 05:41 PM
i also have the same problem with my sr. but right now i will not have any specific engine/ecu info because my car is on its way to FL from Socal and i also just bought it not to long ago. the car does have an apex power fc, z32 mafs, and 800cc injectors. just to recap, on a cold startup, the engine starts up fine and runs fine with a good idle and everything. but if the engine warms up and i shut it off, i can't start it again until it cools down. i was told that it was a coolant temp sensor, so i replaced the correct one going to the ecu. note that the old one that i removed was cracked. for a day, it seemed like the problem went away. i took it to a local well known shop the next day and it was thrown on a dyno and had the timing corrected along with some of the settings in the power fc. at the shop, it seemed like the car started up fine and everything even between the dyno pulls. as soon as i left the shop, i had startup issues again when i stopped at a gas station. since than, i've been having the same start up issues as before i replaced the coolant temp sensor. sorry to thread jack, but i figured the thread opener and i have pretty much the same issue, so the more details the better.

nassin31spr
05-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Lame!! So would u suggest just using a regular blk top ecu? or typ-x ecu? Just want to kno the best option...
Updated the link on the PIX! Thanks!

If you have doubt in your ecu and harness setup. Try and get a matching ecu and new harness complete uncut. Preferebly blacktop. Did you check the pins in the harness and see if they were moved to take a redtop ecu. How sure are you that you have a blacktop motor. It could just be a valve cover. Lots of people just change out the cover.

yusuke1923
05-30-2007, 06:39 PM
If you have doubt in your ecu and harness setup. Try and get a matching ecu and new harness complete uncut. Preferebly blacktop. Did you ever take a look at the ecu and see what the number is on it.

62... I posted pix.. I hope they work hehe. :angel:
Im pretty sure its a black top. My friend hooked it up, I'm pretty sure he is not like that. =)
I just called him right now and asked him why a redtop ecu was used.... He said when they used the Type-X harness and J4 ECU, it had to same problem... so they tried experimenting with a redtop harness and ecu...

I will be dropping the car off tomorrow. I will be printing this thread to show him what other people suggested on doing to fix it. Because he too is stump as well...

johngriff
05-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Whoops.

If anyone needs a repin, either to match an early series harness to a j4 PFC, or vice versa, dont be afraid to get in touch, mail order wiring, or at the shop is no problem.

John

nassin31spr
05-30-2007, 06:52 PM
You just did all the work for him. Very cool +1.

yusuke1923
05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
huh? did I miss something?

yusuke1923
06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
OMG here is an UPDATE!! So the shop found my problem they said.
If the gauge cluster is unplugged... the car starts fine. When it is plugged the car doesn't start properly and I have to do my routine...

What could it be? Now?

statik
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
OMG here is an UPDATE!! So the shop found my problem they said.
If the gauge cluster is unplugged... the car starts fine. When it is plugged the car doesn't start properly and I have to do my routine...

What could it be? Now?

miss-wired the dash plug on the harness?

yusuke1923
06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
How do i fix? where is it located?

tomjrr6
06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
It sounds like you have a vacum leak! If you cant find one justa throw on a MEGAN fuel pressure regulator!

nassin31spr
06-05-2007, 05:11 AM
You have a lot of hacked up wires on your pic of the ecu. Are all those wires exposed. Do you have a lot of other wires exposed like that. You have to do some work and button things up. You cant expect your car to run 100% when its not put together that way. If even one important wire is grounded it can lead to endless headaches.

doomo
08-03-2013, 06:43 AM
just the mapping little bit more aggressive!