PDA

View Full Version : Running fan off "charging" 75a. fuse?

gotta240
05-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry, not a nissan but i'm sure some electrical gurus on here can offer help.

Is it ok to hardwire my fan to the 75 amp "charging" fuse in the engine compartment fuse box? If not, where is it suggested i run it to?

thanks!

mRclARK1
05-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm no electrical guru... but I wouldn't do it. I'd wire it into some accessory that comes on with the ignition, or just wire it up to a switch and relay of it's own.

nrg
05-21-2007, 11:21 PM
do not run the fan directly to that fuse. create a relay harness to run that fan off the battery. use a switch 12v wire from either the wipers, fuel pump, or anything from the fuse box.

the12volt.com has a few diagrams for relays.

ixfxi
05-21-2007, 11:32 PM
haha why on earth would you run it off of THAT fuse?

seriously, is it too hard to run a fan off of a FAN circuit? like, get a fuse.. relay.. and run it off of its OWN circuit.. unless you feel like frying shit.

gotta240
05-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, excuse my lack of electrical knowledge.. Thats why i asked.

In the same fuse box there is a fuel pump fuse... Could i simply run a relay off the fuel pump fuse, since it will be on at all times(what i want)

Justin Bernstein
05-22-2007, 09:03 AM
yo, just run the fan off a 12 or 15 fuse that you can find under the kick pannel on the drivers side. you can splice it in to any one of the fuses in that fuse pannel. I just installed my dual fans with a custom switch installed in the dash in the position were my unused cruise control switch was. you can pick up a switch at any auto parts store and wire it up using the same fuse pannel.

A switch for the fans will prevent you from stressing the fan while highway driving, when its not really needed anyway.

There is also a thread in here about wiring up the fans to the stock relay for the old KA fan...im assuming you have an SR. I actually did it before i used the switch and its a huge pain because you actually have to re-wire the whole relay.

good luck.

sal240sx
05-22-2007, 09:06 AM
You shouldnt have the fans running all the time. If you're driving fast, and the fan doesnt spin fast enough, it can actually prevent air from coming through the radiator. And having a switch means you have to rely on your brain to remeber to turn the fan on and off. Here's a good place where it shows you how to hook it up.
http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efaninstall.htm