PDA

View Full Version : how do you get to the valve springs?

BustedS13
05-21-2007, 06:02 PM
alright, i've got the head off my engine, i've got everything off. but where there should be valve springs, I GUESS, there's just metal discs. like covers or something. how do these come off? there seems to be NO information about these anywhere, including the FSM. do they just pop off, and then i can use this compressor thing to squish the springs, or what? nobody seems to know how to do this. ka24de, by the way.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/nerfdude/springswhere.jpg

all i can see are some discs that are surrounded by some rings. these both spin freely. i can see the valve springs on each end of the head through little crevices, but that's it. do these disc things come off easily or what?

'90RPS13
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was just covered a week ago.

Compress the springs and there is shims that hold the top hat on.

BustedS13
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
yeah, that was my thread. maybe a picture will help.

...hold on.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/nerfdude/springswhere.jpg

Titan Uranus
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Remove the buckets and shims, you can grab them with your fingers and pull up, do not loose them, or get them out of order or your F**** once the buckets are out then you can use the compressor to compress the springs and pull the to half cone retainers out and slowly release tension on the compressor, do not loose any of the retainer peices, or else once again... your f****.... may i ask why you are trying to remove the valve springs?

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Use a magnet they pull right up.

BustedS13
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
may i ask why you are trying to remove the valve springs?

i've got a bad seal, and i'm rebuilding this engine, so it's getting new seals. but thanks, time to find a magnet.

edit: huh, so they do. don't i feel like a dumbass.

so before i feel MORE like a dumbass... is it possible to replace the seals without removing the springs/valves?

Titan Uranus
05-21-2007, 06:44 PM
not at all, and honestly yes you can replace your own valve stem seals, and i have done many of my own, usually i just send the head to machine shop, have it hot tanked, deck checked, and new stem seals install, have a really great head after wards and i didnt have to do any of the work, when installing the seals, please becarefull they rip really easy

BustedS13
05-21-2007, 06:46 PM
any idea how much having a machine shop do it would cost me? i need to have the block hot tanked and honed anyway. i don't have the right valve spring compressor, as this one won't fit in there.