PDA

View Full Version : building a S13 Sr20 top and bottom

yaba94070
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I just wanted to see the feed back on this and what people have done or perfer.
bottom end--------
CP 87.5mm pistons
crower rods
clevvite 77 race rod bearings
i am polishing the crankshaft
ARP head studs
apexi 1.00mm meatal head gasket
HKs 264 cams (i was told i only needed the exhaust cam gear for tunning purposes)
i am also balancing the motor and having it blue printed, i am putting a new water pump, oil pump (should i get an oil cooler)

head-----
port n polish
1mm oversized vaulve
comptech valves springs
crower titanium retaniers
-------as of my head my only question is if i was going to put new parts in it should i just buy the valves, retainers and springs from crower or is there any companys that have better parts for a S13 black top head-----------

I will be starting this next week. So any feed back asap please would be greatly appriciated. If you recomend any other parts please let me know and with a explination would be great.
thanks guys

zenogias
05-20-2007, 12:16 PM
i'm sorry this isn't advice and probably a newb question but i was curious to know why you wouldn't need intake cams for tuning purposes.

yaba94070
05-20-2007, 12:21 PM
i am prity sure when you buy cams you need cam gears. he told me i only needed one???
i was like okay ya that makes sence(ya right)...

rps13drift
05-20-2007, 12:26 PM
i am prity sure when you buy cams you need cam gears. he told me i only needed one???
i was like okay ya that makes sence(ya right)...

Are you talking about aftermarket adjustable cam gears? Im running hks cams aswell with my stock cam gears. No problems. The motor build seems like its gong to be nice! what turbo are you running and whats your power goals?

yaba94070
05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Are you talking about aftermarket adjustable cam gears? Im running hks cams aswell with my stock cam gears. No problems. The motor build seems like its gong to be nice! what turbo are you running and whats your power goals?
im shooting for around 400 i would like a little more but i want a reliable 400. i was talking about hks cams with adjustable cam gear. so i guess it might be possable to run with one adjustable. we'll see lol. I am using a GT2871R .64 i dn;t know the limit on the turbo yet i haven't done to much research. I know that its one of the most comnly used turbos and i think the 1st and 3nd place holder of open drift has the same turbo. but any way i have to take it all the way out and see what it really is

s13gold
05-21-2007, 10:04 AM
what turbo will you be using???
and manifold?

delphis
05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
if I recall correctly the blacktop is already ported and that there is no need for a port and polish job on the blacktop head, but I could be wrong because I might be think of the s14 head, but I would double check before you take it to a machine shop, because they will have no idea.

yaba94070
05-21-2007, 03:53 PM
k will do on the checking the head. Defently when i bout the car the head was supposly built so i am defently going to check it.
and i am using
(turbo)
GT2871R .64

yaba94070
05-27-2007, 03:15 AM
does any one know if theres any good water and oil pumps???
or should i just say fuck it and go with oem???
I wanted to know if there was any brands in perticular that i should be looking for

GSXRJJordan
05-27-2007, 03:39 AM
*sigh* I imagine that everyone who's built motors has passed this thread over, because the info you're asking is covered in EVERY motor build thread, but I'll share with you.

You don't need to port, polish is up to you.

Do not go with oversized valves, especially with a turbo choice of the 2871/power goal of 400 usable hp. You gain flow potential, but loose port velocity, which ends up loosing you power on the SR.

The cams you're going to want to get will have 12mm+ of lift, so tell that to Crower and make sure you get springs that can handle it (OEM retainers are damn light/strong, but you'll want Ti retainers, cause I can tell you're going to get your jollies off telling people about your build list).

You'll want HKS 264 step 2 cams, step 1s are a waste of money, if you're going HKS that is. Tomei makes great cams as well as a solid lifter conversion, if you want to be hard core about valve adjustment intervals, and JWT makes some fantastic cams for your perf goals (C1 or S4).

You'll run out of room with your 2871 .64 most likely. You should switch out to a T3 top mount setup and do the 3071 .63 to hit the high 300s/low 400s, or at least change to the 2871 .86.

Oh, and whoever told you you only needed the exhaust cam gear is probably a good resource - you really don't need either (not many people run adj gears), but the exhaust one is the one that you'd adjust first.

OEM oil/water pumps are perfect. Buy them.

DOOK
05-27-2007, 09:29 AM
^ I agree wit him. Crower makes great stuff, but on a side note, your cams are not a part of your "bottom end", they are in the head.

Dousan_PG
05-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I just wanted to see the feed back on this and what people have done or perfer.
bottom end--------
CP 87.5mm pistons
crower rods
clevvite 77 race rod bearings
i am polishing the crankshaft
ARP head studs
apexi 1.00mm meatal head gasket
HKs 264 cams (i was told i only needed the exhaust cam gear for tunning purposes)
i am also balancing the motor and having it blue printed, i am putting a new water pump, oil pump (should i get an oil cooler)

head-----
port n polish
1mm oversized vaulve
comptech valves springs
crower titanium retaniers
-------as of my head my only question is if i was going to put new parts in it should i just buy the valves, retainers and springs from crower or is there any companys that have better parts for a S13 black top head-----------

I will be starting this next week. So any feed back asap please would be greatly appriciated. If you recomend any other parts please let me know and with a explination would be great.
thanks guys

fuck clevites. stick w/ OEM bearings for your crank and such.
5 angle valve job is nice
i have a 3 iirc. imaybe a 5?
retainers are ok but not necessary

cams...DEF get intake/exhaust. for that much power, id go w/ a 256/264 setup.
cam gears are uncessary, imo

pistons
get 9:1 .002 overbore too.
slightly larger bump the compression
you'll easily be doing 400

get the block redone, head redone
new oil pump (OEM)
get an oil cooler and agood tune
and ur set.

dont forget ARP rod bolts.

i wouldnt do the oversized valves. stockers are fine. get new ones though, no worries there.

sr cranks arent terribly out of balance. easy to get redone. cheap too.

i have a similar setup to above
doing 350 rwhp no problems
changing to a 3071R and ill be bumping 400ish give ortake above/below that. either way, 350 feels fucking PERFECT.

yaba94070
05-29-2007, 09:13 PM

pistons

new oil pump (OEM)
and ur set.

i wouldnt do the oversized valves. stockers are fine. get new ones though, no worries there.

changing to a 3071R and ill be bumping 400ish give ortake above/below that. either way, 350 feels fucking PERFECT.
sweet thanks dude so should i upgrade my turbo is i wanted more power. DO you know how much i can push with the 2871R its a 64 trim

yaba94070
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM

pistons

new oil pump (OEM)
and ur set.

i got the ARP rod bolt cant forget those lol but for the cams if i am going with both of them 264 is that bad cause the only reason i ask is i already have them rofl all i need is the cam gears

Dousan_PG
06-06-2007, 10:57 PM
cam gears are not necessary. dotn waste ur money.

yaba94070
06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
i was told for tunning purposes you would need one. But if i dn;t need them then shoot more moeny on some thing else rofl

DOOK
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
all the cam gears are for is advancing or retarding your timing, they are not necessary. Your tuning will be done via piggyback or standalone engine management.

yaba94070
06-09-2007, 02:28 PM
im getting the standalone managment system from AEM so i guess thats kill the use for cam gears lol