PDA

View Full Version : How to replace rear defrost heat lines

aricanderson
08-13-2002, 08:19 PM
I noticed on my 89 240sx that the rear defroster is not working. Plus the heat lines on the hatchback window are cracked and missing.  How can I get this problem fixed.  Do I need to take it to the dealer or can anyone fix this and if so where to get the part.  Thanks i want to get this fixed so that I can tint my windows soon.

kanekz
08-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Haven't heard of anybody doing this as a DIY project.  This would seem a bit difficult, but I do not know.  Im not sure how the lines are stuck onto the window hatch.  Ask the dealer what they can do.  Also, try looking for a used window hatch that someone might be parting out from their S13 or a junkyard.  This might be easier and save you problems.

adey
08-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Expect to pay hundreds (I imagine in excess of 500, probably closer to 8 or 900) for a dealer replacement of your hatch glass w/ defroster lines.
Your best bet would probably be to go to a junk yard and find the piece you're looking for. The problem then is that you don't know if it still works, and if it doesn't you probably just wasted $2-300 on a replacement that's no better than what you already have.
As for a DIY @ home deal... well, I don't know how that would work, but it seems to me like a pretty tough project.

hotdogg
08-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Autozone sells a repair kit for 8.99,  it comes with a sticky template and some kind of liquid with a brush.  I haven't tried mine yet so i can't tell you how good it works. but its worth a try.

sxtasy
08-14-2002, 11:02 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hotdogg @ Aug. 13 2002,10:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Autozone sells a repair kit for 8.99, it comes with a sticky template and some kind of liquid with a brush. I haven't tried mine yet so i can't tell you how good it works. but its worth a try.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
I have used that stuff you paint on wich is just a conductive paint and it works pretty well! I fixed all my broken defroster lines before i had the windows tinted.