PDA

View Full Version : Changing out T/O Bearing

Dream240
05-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm gonna be replacing my throw out bearing because from what I've found the SPEC ones make alot of noise. And I have to pull the tranny AGAIN to change out the pilot bushing and re-check for the cause of the vibration/grinding problem that I can't seem to locate.

Does anyone know what brand the SPEC T/O bearings are? Or do they make their own?

Also I haven't been able to figure out if I can use any brand T/O bearing on my SPEC clutch kit. I'm thiinking about getting an ACT bearing. Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

onepuff
05-18-2007, 12:51 PM
The one i received with my spec clutch kit disintegrated within the first week. I called them up and they sent me a replacement. Apparently they stock two different types. Been working out fine for a few months now. Give them a call.

Dream240
05-18-2007, 01:02 PM
I sent them an email about my problems, maybe they'll give me the better one that you got. :)

Were the two noticibly different? did they have brand markings on them? Part numbers?

Thanks.

Roc
05-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Why dont you just get a koyo T/o bearing Ive heard they are the better type.

forum04pl
05-18-2007, 01:13 PM
my spec tob is a peice of junk, it has made so much noise since day one. now its starting to make a horrible grinding noise when the cluch is pushed in completly.

i cant wait to change out this peice of shit

Dream240
05-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I noticed them for sale but it's the cheapest bearing that I found listed. I'm starting to get wary of the cheaper parts being cheaper quality.... :(

I found a KOYO for about 20 bucks. ACT is $35.

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!! :p

fliprayzin240sx
05-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Z32 TOB will work...just use the same carrier you have. I know ACT pretty much uses the Z32 ones too.

JDS Performance
05-19-2007, 07:48 AM
my question is how do you guy deside that your thorwout bearings are going bad?

What are the symtoms of this?

I have gathered grinding noise - does it make the noise all the time?

I would like to know to be on the look out for these sounds.

Anyone had any problems with the Exedy OEM w/ Fidanza Flywheel combo?

I have 1200 miles on mine and no problems yet.

slider2828
05-21-2007, 07:29 PM
I have a fidanza with a RPS Turbo Max Street. I am using the same throw out bearing from my exedy stage 2 with a fidanza and it just literally started making noise. About 11K miles on it. Should have changed it when the tranny was out. CRAP! Grr... I think the Nissan OEM one is pretty good, anyone comment on this?

Throw out bearing symptom is when you push the clutch pedal in, it makes this whirling noise like a bad old washing machine. Whrrrrrr and it doesn't have to do it in when you shift into every gear. You can hear it whirl while the clutch is pushed in and not when the gear is engaged.

For reference, I just changed my Clutch Master Cylinder and same thing. So next is TOB and Pilot, but ima wait until the clutch goes out before it is worth it.

LFOabuse
05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Koyo is OEM. I just replaced mine and hooked it up for $13 from:

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/detailw.jsp?sid=4xn1plyhj1lsfsa0zgnhhr45&partner=autohausaz&year=1991&make=NI&model=240-SX-002&category=I2020&part=Release%20Bearing

the terrible one
05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
when me and my friend were replacing his clutch we noticed the TOB that came with the clutch was completely different than the one that was on the car. the race of the bearing was a bit different. the one on the car had rounded edges and the new one had almost square edges. the new one worked fine. no problems at all. i dont know if any of that would help you out but just giving you a heads up...

oh btw. the new TOB was from koyo..