PDA

View Full Version : Coilover/Wheel Fitting questions

hellllo
05-17-2007, 11:56 PM
I recently bought my first aftermarket rims and suspension, 17x9.5 +18 FNs and Tein HE coilovers.

I've searched but these questions are kinda small so bare with me 8(

1.) I've heard these wheel sizes will fit stock front fenders flush with some camber. I tried them on tonight and the wheels are outside the fender about 2 inches. I know i have to modify the inner fender lip but it doesnt look like the rims fit at all. Its like those mexican low riders. What am i doing wrong? I have maxed the camber plate and still doesn't fit.

2.) Tein HE's camber plates, how much degree of camber per line/tick?

LB.Motoring
05-17-2007, 11:57 PM
just camber them in all the way and roll your fenders.

JVD
05-18-2007, 12:06 AM
17x9.5 +18 FNs
Since when???

OptionZero
05-18-2007, 12:10 AM
you mean 17x9 +15 or 18x9.5 +12
Learn your own wheel size, that'd be a good start.

Fender clearance depends on tire size, ride height, camber, and fender mods.
First of all, are you looking at the wheels while the car is in the air? Because...well..that's stupid.
Look at pictures and what spec tire and what camber settings. There's tons of info out there. Ride height makes a difference.

Coilover clearance? Either size will clear coilovers assuming you don't run superduperwide tires.

hellllo
05-18-2007, 12:13 AM
my bad i didn't even mean to put FNs down, so late here but yea i bought it off used and it has 235/40 tires on them.

how about the coilovers, how much does each tick measure in degrees?

OptionZero
05-18-2007, 12:20 AM
none
each tick is a tick, don't rely on them to tell "degrees" at all. get a real alignment instead of eyeballing that crap with the marks on the camber playes

and you didn't even answer the question: WHAT SIZE WHEELS

hellllo
05-18-2007, 12:36 AM
none
each tick is a tick, don't rely on them to tell "degrees" at all. get a real alignment instead of eyeballing that crap with the marks on the camber playes

and you didn't even answer the question: WHAT SIZE WHEELS

i didn't mean to put FNs down, it was just a habit, so they aren't FNs. The sizes are what i said. Sorry for the confusion

They didn't put ticks on the camberplates if they didn't mean anything. I'm not eyeballing i just wanted to know if 1 tick = 1 or 0.5 degree etc.

OptionZero
05-18-2007, 01:20 AM
They put ticks on camber plates so you can count ticks. It measures ticks, thats all. Real camber will be affected by your ride height and how you bolted up the lower mounts if it's slotted, and any other shit you do. They are a point of reference more than a magic camber ruler.
Second tick = further than first tick by an equal distance. Hooray.

gotta240
05-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Those offsets should be fine on a s14. I run 18x9.5 +17 in the front. -2.3 degrees camber with a 255 tire... Doesn't stick out at all.

I think two things are going on here

1. You are confused about wheels
2. you are looking at the wheels with the car in the air.

aznpoopy
05-18-2007, 07:20 AM
They didn't put ticks on the camberplates if they didn't mean anything. I'm not eyeballing i just wanted to know if 1 tick = 1 or 0.5 degree etc.

like everyone else is saying, it doesn't work like that.

what you can do do is etch in some markings after you get your shit aligned. then you know approximately where x degrees of camber is at your current ride height.

BobbyDigi
05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
none

exactly!!

Quite reading into it too much.

I find it hard to believe that they are sticking out that much on atock fenders unless you are running like +5 camber my accident. OR to me, its sounds like you havent lowered it back down to the ground to let the camber settle, atso, in terms of scrub radius, you might need to drive the car 100 feet in order for the wheels to set in terms of camber, remember, sometimes, when you lower a car back down from thejack it doesnt give the correct and true camber untill you roll it a few feet to let it settle at its most negative point

sizzlinbeef
05-18-2007, 10:03 AM
According to his profile, he has an S13, which sounds right because my 17x9 +20's on my S13 are exactly flush; 17x9.5 +18 all around would definately be sticking out a wee bit, but nothing that more camber or a slight pull can't solve.

This is what 17x9 looks like with no spacer on my S13:

http://student.cob.ohiou.edu/mw132201/IMG_0220.jpg

Less than a business card of clearance between the wheel and coilover spring perch.