PDA

View Full Version : Turbo size question?

BI_fab
05-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Ok i plan on swaping out my pathetic sohc ka for a ca18. now i don't want to keep the stock small and potentioly blown turbo on the ca. so i was thinking of what to replace it with and i am stuck between 2 turbo's.

- gt2871r
- gt3076r
now i know the 30r will spool later but i'm trying to figure out how much later then the 28r? also what would the responce be at higher rpm. like when exiting a corner or w/e?

Now i have rode in a evo8 with a gt3076r and it was fantastic and prolly one of the most reponsive and fun cars to ride in.... so how does the ca18 flow compared to the evo's 4g63?

i'f i havn't mentioned i will be useing this car as a weekend track car heading to the local road course and drift event...

johngriff
05-17-2007, 04:01 AM
Stay far away for the 3076 matched against the ca18.

For the 2871r make sure you get the .64 ar housing. Response is Key in what you are looking for.

BI_fab
05-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Do you have any reason that the gt3076 is a bad choice? i'm comming from hondas and a gt3076 is not all that big...

but i'm hear to learn so anyone with some more information would be great....

street240
05-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Do you have any reason that the gt3076 is a bad choice? i'm comming from hondas and a gt3076 is not all that big...

but i'm hear to learn so anyone with some more information would be great.... Honda and Nissan motors are apples and oranges. 2871 is for response. Do some reading and all will be known to you...

steve shadows
05-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Stay far away for the 3076 matched against the ca18.

For the 2871r make sure you get the .64 ar housing. Response is Key in what you are looking for.

can you ellaborate oh tuning master lol

right.

depends on your goals.

The 3076R is a great turbo if you have a specific output in mind, of course your driving style (regarless of type of racing) also has something to do with this.

If you run the 2871r spool up will be good (espeically with the .64) but power and efficency will drop off before you can take advantage of the valve train of the ca18 and the higher rev capabilities of the motor. IT will also be capable of 400whp ranges on the smaller 1.8 liter and torque should wind out to drop off at 7k range with the proper duration camshaft.

I would say go with the 3071R with the smaller t3 housing (or the smaller t28 housing) as the gt30 wheel will give you some higher rpm range breathing room, then pair the setup with some balanced camshafts and cam gears to match for fine tuning. I would suggest something in the 260 duration range for the ca18.

hope this helps-cheers

pr0ject TRUENO
05-17-2007, 04:16 PM
GT28 or similarly sized turbo would probably be the best bet. What power gains are you shooting for?

i need tires
05-17-2007, 04:26 PM
why not just go with a s15 or r33 turbo.. they are smaller than both of those and still have good power and spooling capablites... and a lot cheap if you get from the right person, plus i doubt u want to run more than 300hp on a 16+ yr old motor..

s13gold
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
it depends what you're loooking for...

for top end in the high rpms with head work, get the gt3071

for response get the gt2871

steve shadows
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
If he wants more than 280whp, he will have to at least upgrade to the 2871R, the .64 is good, but then your cieling becomes 320-350whp ranges depending on head work.

If hes serious about taking advantage of the valve train design on the CA and reving out the motor to 8500 rpms range with the proper cams dropped in a 3071r (with the t2 housing) or if your ready to take the step a top mount smaller t3 turbine 3071r will suffice. Mind you spool will be lagier than the 2871R but the T3 fram gt30 wheel will allow for better efficency in the higher part of the RPM band.

The CA is NOT an SR. It will not flow as much AIR. But it will rev higher more safely with the right tuning/and or EMS to allow for rasing of rev limit and load point tuning past oem/common rom tune and pfc tune board allowances.

BI_fab
05-17-2007, 06:36 PM
well i plan on reving this thing out... as i'm used to honda's and there high rev's, that is what made me chose to go with the ca18.

now i'm leaning toward the a 30r and am now trying to narrow down the best one for my goel's.

now i see you guys saying go 3071r, and i'm trying to compare it to the 3076r, so after looking at the compressor maps they look quite different.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/mattgroshong/gt3071rcompressormap.gif

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/mattgroshong/gt3076rcompressormap.gif

now i don't quite know how to look at the maps and find the pressure ratio's of the motor or w/e you do to figure out what turbo will best suit the motor that it is put on. so any help with that one would be great.

Aslo i like the anti-surge housings and am woundering if you can get it for the 3071r? i will prolly need to call...

well thanks for the help so far guys...

ohh forgot to ad this. i plan on making 350hp+ on the ca. and am trying to get there in the most efficent way possible. Again i just don't like the idea of the smaller t2 housing as it seams it will choke the motor up top.... corect me if i'm wrong. but a good 8500+ red line is what i'm looking for.

CKAMC
05-17-2007, 06:47 PM
read what everyone is saying.

try and find some cams if you can and then top mount 2871 with a 64 ar for the 320-350 range

or do the small 63 ar 3071.

READ steve shadows knows best!

Jade-( i need tires) dont recommend a skyline turbo because of the ceramic turbine restricts you to at most 12psi before it goes off flying... RB/ls1 john had the pleasure of pushing 17psi and it went flying out the tail pipe. (turbine wheel)

Original poster- call ATP turbo's if you doubt us any further.

steve shadows
05-17-2007, 07:28 PM
yeah call atp or cheapturbo

the surge protector housing is not really a necessity but it sure does look cool haha, it’s debatable if it really helps anything on car with a properly places BOV and IC setup.

But if you really want it ATP can make something happen or CheapTurbo or even Fullrace should be able to get you a solution for surge protection housing.

Remember surge limit and islands on comp maps, aren’t the only thing that matters.

While I know what you’re saying about the 3076r it just won’t spool up like it did on that 4g63 on your CA. The 3071r with the smaller t3 housing should and because the CA has a timing belt you should be able to tune your larger cams perfectly and much easier than an SR on the dyno with some adju sprockets.

johngriff
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Enough with the bench racing! Time for some dynographs. I collected these over the years as I searched for some ideal setups.

Less than 200hp is worthless on the ca, so take that as your "when i'll feel it" point.

Here is a dyno of a GT2871R .82
You can see that power starts to pick up before the 4000 Rpm point, and builds quickly to its peak. This run was done @ 12psi
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/2871r82.gif

This is a dyon of a GT30/71.
Bad picture, not scan. Look closely. You can see that we are not breaking the 200hp marker until AFTER 5000 RPM. 3000r's is not a usable powerband. This run was done at 15psi (1 bar, i am figuring redundant external). Peak output is just under 300. Typical CA style spark break up at higher r/psi.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/3071r15psi.jpg

3076 done at 10psi.
This actually makes 200hp (4700)a little sooner, which looks about right when comparing the two compressor maps side by side.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/3076low.jpg

Making more than 300hp usable is quite a feet. You will start running into tire size/compound issues, and some alignment issues to back them (road racing).

Drifting in a sense is unlimited, but you will want faster response for keeping angle when blipping the throttle through a sweep. For drifting you really only need 250hp and a good diff to get stupid sideways.

This being a daily driver also should be taken into account. Alot of these larger turbo's dont make power until the higher pressure ranges, moving you into a race gas situation. Making decent power on pump, and doing it quickly sounds like what you are after. I mentioned the .64 for fastest response.

Cams are kind of a bitch, but i was lucky enough to get a pair of JUN cams 264/9.3lift. I am going to making some replicas from a cam grinder, if you are interested shoot me a P/M.

John