PDA

View Full Version : strange vibration from MT with welded diff

jafero
05-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I started driving with welded diff not to long ago. Whenever I turn tight 90 degree turn either direction while parking or driving into driveway, I feel my B&M shifter shivering which also makes it feel like something inside tranny is shivering. Is this normal with welded diff or could this be due to worn out center bearing?

gameeffect
05-17-2007, 01:28 AM
does your shifter shake like crazy? if so possibly a bad tranny mount.

projekt_s13
05-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Welded diffs make lots of vibrations so your gonna have to get used to it. Its probably vibration coming from your wheels as they "hop" while making the turn.

jafero
05-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Thanks for advices. I thought so too. Wheel hops...
Have new Nismo tranny mounts and double checked tranny mounts and center bearing bolts tightness.

FaLKoN240
05-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Tranny mount and the tires breaking traction.

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Welded diffs aren't for luxury cars.

!Zar!
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Tranny mount, subframs bushings/collars and the welded diff are all culprits.

s13gold
05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
you have to master driving with a welded difff...

very very tough...practice on slow turns.

jafero
05-19-2007, 02:50 PM
How often do you witness tranny or other drive train parts braking due to stress from welded diff?

DRIFTER-M
05-19-2007, 04:07 PM
How often do you witness tranny or other drive train parts braking due to stress from welded diff?

^ Never, cars will eventually break anyway, can't just put it on a welded diff. If a transmission breaks with a welded, then it was probably bad anyway and would have broken none the less. Usually parts breaking don't happen from other parts, but by how they are used and driven on.

To the original poster and his question...
I have always had my shifter vibrate slightly on all my cars with or without a welded diff. I have never noticed any excessive vibrations with the welded, but I don't know maybe I just don't notice it? But honestly, start your car and stare at your shifter, you will always notice slight vibrations, actually if you start looking closely at alot of stuff, you will notice tons of vibrations, and it is possible a welded diff or any kind of new diff could cause some extra vibrations because of the newly added stress put on the car while turning. The new stress + the old stress cars put on themselves could be well enough to create alittle more, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. As I said above, cars will eventually break anyway, its just how they roll.

To s13gold...
Whoever said you have to learn how to drive welded diffs slowly and gradually, maybe you meant you have to learn how to drift with them slowly and gradually? I have never really been worried with my welded diff while regular driving, it's easy to feel its limits. If you drift with them it may take you a bit to get use to it, its nothing like drifting an open gear. Much faster response to the drift with a welded, feels like it wants to spin once its initiated. Same with 2ways. The entry is harder too, takes harder turning and quicker responses than with a simple clutch kick and short slide that your old stock open gear would allow you to do. This is in no way meant as a flame, I am just asking if someone told you that it is hard, or if that is your opinion driving them, because I really don't think they are all THAT complicated to get use to.

Anyway, hope I helped out some people. Have a good day :D

struka
05-20-2007, 10:36 AM
i have noticed more vibrations from the welded diff...just normal