PDA

View Full Version : Paint Question: Clear Coat

duckeee322
05-15-2007, 05:30 PM
i was wondering.. the clear coat on my car isnt as "shiny" as i'd want it to be. would it be a smart idea to wet sand the car and apply a few more clear coats?

or would it just be better to sand down the whole car completely and repaint it?

spinitsidewayz
05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Try polishing it first...

Theres alot of good info out there on the web.

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/

ladiesman8527
05-15-2007, 05:47 PM
i guess as long as you sand the old clear coat off, then manage not to cut through the color coat, then yea you can re-clear the car.

duckeee322
05-15-2007, 06:16 PM
yea thats what i was thinking. but my friend was telling me i should just repaint the whole car..

forgottenpromize
05-15-2007, 06:58 PM
try wet sanding with 1800 then go to 2000 then 2400 then use compound with a buffer but watch on the edges and body lines cause you will sand off the clear and burn through with the buffer

Anto
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Umm...

You should try rubbing & polishing compound first.

At any auto store.

Then you can top that off with sealant and some wax.

duckeee322
05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
well the paint shop i went to, i think only did like 1 coat of clear coat. so thats why im wondering if i should just add more clear coats myself. i feel like if i wet sand it and then just buff it, i wont even have any clear coat to work with.

swang
05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
well i had the same problem with my car, wouldnt really call it a problem.

but my car had not been taken care of when i first bought it.
rust or dust. u name it my car had it.
it wasnt even glossy anymore.

before u decide to repaint your whole entire car try investing some of that money into a claybar and some meguiars wax or something.

i used a claybar and stage 2 meguirs and stage 3
now my car shines like a corvette. if i could get pics up i would
but camera is down.

clay bar and polish and wax
and if that doesnt work go ahead and repaint it
atleast ull have a claybar and wax to keep that paintjob clean :naughty:

duckeee322
05-15-2007, 07:59 PM
hmmm seems like a plan. thanks!

O3DigitalBath
05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
...clay bar, cleaner wax, rubbing compounds....all options I would look into before repainting.

Kouki
05-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Alot of times the clear coat will just haze up, especially if its fairly fresh and sits in the sun alot. I wouldn't wet sand it if there is only 1 coat of clear on there because if you don't know what you're doing there is a chance that you can over sand an area and get through the clear and hit the basecoat. If you do that your car will look 1000x worse than it already does. I'd start out with something like this.........
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/super_rad_1000/buffit.jpg

Start out with a medium cut compound then after you have done the whole car with that, move up to a polishing compound, if you have a dark colored car you may want to use a swirl remover after that, then get yourself some good wax and give her a nice coat of that and see how she shines. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference that will make.

Anto
05-17-2007, 02:57 AM
www.autogeekonline.net

gods reside there.